Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New-need much help - blank system restore

• Please log in to reply

vicki T

vicki T

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I am having numerous problems. I found posts with similar problems but didn't seem to help. I think I need a little more help than some of the people who posted here and seem more knowledable about computers than I am.
I tried to install a Canon A520 but I got error message 1607. I've talked to the Canon techs, I also tried Microsoft but never really got anywhere. I have an Emachine, which was my son's, so I don't even have the original disks. I've been trying to fix this for over a week and hope someone here can help.
After receiving the error message I started having problems with some missing items, such as Help and Search so I tried to do a System Restore and it was a blank page. I followed the directions of the various techs I spoke with but when we'd hit a snag they just kind of gave up on me. I appreciate any help anyone here can give me.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi vicki T...

The first thing we need to do is to make sure the machine is not infected with malware. These symptoms are often the result of an infection.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 09 April 2006 - 11:18 AM.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Wannabe1,
Thanks much. I'll give that a try.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
vicki T...

You need to start a topic in the Malware Forum and post the HiJackThis log there...that's where the malware experts hang out. :blink:

As a side note...I looked at the log...you DO need to let them help you clean this up. I'd be willing to bet that doing so will resolve your problem. :whistling:

wannabe1

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
HJT Log here now

http://www.geekstogo...ndpost&p=630568

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Now I'm really confused. I followed all the steps then submitted the Hijack This log to Malware. I just received an e-mail that says my "topic" is closed. What does that mean? What do I do next?? Thanks for your help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Give me a moment...I'll check into it for you.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click this and reply

http://www.geekstogo...ndpost&p=630568

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
wannabe/Keith

Vicki is now clean of malware could one of you guys see if you can't get the blank restore issue squared away for her please,

Thanks
Don

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is she going to reply here or start a new topic

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi vicki T...

I've been following your topic in Malware....now that don77 has got all the nasties out of there, let's see if we can get these issues cleared up.

Click Start, then Run, type, regsvr32 jscript.dll, and click "Ok". Click "Ok" again.
Click Start, then Run, type, regsvr32 vbscript.dll, and click "Ok". Click "Ok" again.

If either of these files fail to register, let me know. If both do register, try to open System Restore and post the results here.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 14 April 2006 - 07:07 AM.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Both failed.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you try this

http://www.dougknox....oreCalendar.zip

This small GUI (Graphical User Interface) utility will check the Registry associations that cause this problem, and notify you if they need to be corrected. You will then have the opportunity to correct them, by clicking the Repair button. This application is freeware.

Windows XP Only. Requires VB6 Runtime Library (installed on XP by default).

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try Keith's suggestion first, if no joy...there's a couple of registry keys I'd like to look at... :whistling:

wannabe1

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Says two items fixed. Restore still blank.