Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New-need much help - blank system restore

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type regedit, and click "Ok".

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then CLASSES, then CLSID, then {f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}, and click on In procServer32

In the right pane, double click on (Default). Look at the value listed in the Value Data box. It should be C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\JSCRIPT.DLL If it is not, type C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\JSCRIPT.DLL into the field and click "Ok".

Then double click on ThreadingModel. Look at the value listed in the Value Data box. It should be Both. If it is not, type Both into the field and click "Ok".

In the left pane again, locate and expand {f414c261-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb558}, then expand In procServer32. Double click on (Default). The value should be C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\JSCRIPT.DLL. If it isn't, change it and click "Ok".

Then double click on ThreadingModel. The value for this should be Both. Again, change it if it isn't.

In the left pane once again, locate {f414c261-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb558}. Repeat the above steps with this key, also...using the same values and click "Ok" after modifying each.

Close the Registry Editor and reboot. Try to open System Restore.

Let me know what you find...

Advertisements

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I get as far as CLSID and then I'm stuck, I don't see F414... etc. or anything else under CLSID.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It should be there....you may have to scroll a long ways down the list... :whistling: Let me know if you don't find it...that may be the problem.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Sorry, I still don't see it. Is it supposed to be in the CLSID folder? That folder is empty.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you expand the CLSID key? There should be gobs of {xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx} strings in there.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
It doesn't expand. There's nothing

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Bingo! Bad Hive.

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Is there any way around the installation CD? I don't have it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We're going to need the cd. :whistling: Do you know anyone who has one you can borrow? If you have a branded machine (Dell, HP, etc...) it will have to be the same version. We can make just about any retail version of XP work.

We should get your product key off the machine if you don't have it. Look on your machine for a sticker with the product key on it. If you can't find that, we'll retrieve it from the registry.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
OK. This is an E-machine, I might be able to borrow my mom's disk, she has a HP. Is it just the Windows XP disk that I need?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I have doubts that the HP disk will be able to do this. We may be able to replace the registry hive with it, but we need to determine if there is a viable restore point to do that. Unfortunately, this may undo all the hard work you and don77 have done as we will have to restore to an infected restore point once we have replaced the hive.

Can you try to boot into Safe Mode, but instead of choosing Safe Mode, choose the option for Command Prompt. At command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and then press "Enter". Let me know if this starts the System Restore operation. Do Not run the restore yet, though.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
No, system restore did not start.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll need to use a cd then. We can try the HP, but I have my doubts about it letting us run a repair. A retail XP cd would sure be a life saver for you right now.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I talked to my son. He thinks he has the original cd at his apartment. It's in Omaha but he's coming home for the weekend and will try to find it to bring with him. Do you think that it's better if I wait for that disk?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes!!! :whistling: Let's wait for the correct cd...

And I should be around all weekend... :blink:

wannabe1