Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot access the internet

• Please log in to reply

Shelley430

Shelley430

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I printed out SpaceCowboy's instructions on "Wireless Home Network Setup Instructions" for windows XP:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=102163

My desktop is the host and I'm trying to get a connection to my daughter's laptop via the router.
I have followed all the instructions up to #36 when it tells me to open up Internet Explorer, and if I am still unable to access the internet then to post a message in the forum that I can't. And guess what? I can't!! LOL

:whistling: I sure hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks a bunch.
~~Shelley

Edited by Shelley430, 18 April 2006 - 10:28 AM.

Advertisements

Shelley430

Shelley430

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
:blink:
Can someone please help me with this? I'm still waiting. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does Windows Update, using the link from start, all programmes and the e-mail programme react the same

Shelley430

Shelley430

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
:whistling: I don't know. I didn't try anything except what the directions said to do. I clicked on Internet Explorer and got "This page cannot be displayed." And the instructions said if I get that to post a message here that I cannot access the internet.

I'm at work right now but when I get home this evening I can try that. It never dawned on me to try something else internet-related. On the other hand, if I can't access internet explorer it's still defeating the purpose, right? I mean, that is my browser after all. So I guess my next question would be, if I can in fact access email, etc., how will I access IE? :blink:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's just to check whether it is possible to get anything

If you get e-mail then it could be a setting with IE

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Try Opening Internet Explorer clicking Tools > Options then Connections then LAN Settings then tick Automatically Detect Settings.

Click OK, OK again, then retry... Inform the outcome please.

Shelley430

Shelley430

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
:whistling: Well, I did everything that was suggested. I went to start-->windows update and got "this page cannot be displayed." Checked my email and other internet sites and still the same message.

I also went to inernet options-->connection-->lan settings and checked "automatically detect settings," and still the same message.

Could it be the router? Before starting all this I did have Dell on the phone and they took me through the steps to make sure the router was working, which apparently it is according to them. But, could it actually not be working?

Thanks so much for all your help. Anymore suggestions????

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you use another PC to download this to disc and then put it on the PC which won't connect

http://www.geekstogo...n=download&id=7

This Utility Restores (WinSock and TCP/IP) Registry Keys, that may become Corrupt after Removing the Host Program that Modified them

Shelley430

Shelley430

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am using the PC that won't connect. I just have to reconnect the modem to my computer to access the internet, which is the only way I can get back on the internet. It's bigger pain to have to reconnect the router and go through all the steps, but that's what I'm doing when I try it again!

So, I'm online now so I can just click on that link and try it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as it goes on the PC which won't connect

Shelley430

Shelley430

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well, I just tried it and it didn't make a difference. But I'm also frustrated :whistling: and tired, so maybe I'll do it again tomorrow. I've got to go to bed so I'm finished for the night. If you, or anyone, has any other suggestions I'll try it tomorrow evening after I get home, and I'll also try the utilities restore again and double check that everything is connected properly.

Thanks so much for your help. Hopefully I'll get this thing working one of these days!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I haven't read through the guide, however, if it involved changes to IE settings, click start, control panel, network and internet, internet options, click the tabs and click restore defaults on any which have the option, click apply on each tab