Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't open anything but IE

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Not quite the symptom I was expecting to hear, but we can try the fix anyway...

Download the WinXP EXE Fix

Download it onto your computer and double-click on it. When it asks you "do you want to add this info to the registry?" tell it Yes.

If your problem is what I hope it is, it should fix it right away. You can try your programs after using it, but you may have to restart the computer before it works.

In addition, look at the 8 recovery CDs you told me you had earlier. They should have titles on them, such as Application CD, Resource CD, etc. (depending on the brand of computer). Try to find one that says Operating System or Windows XP, something to that effect. If this doesn't work, we can try to use that CD to do a repair of Windows, rather than a full reinstall where you lose everything.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 26 April 2006 - 07:24 PM.

Advertisements

momma0203

momma0203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
the computer won't let me download anything. when i click on the link you gave me - nothing happens.
My recovery cds do not have titles on them. they all say "system recovery, winXP, home edition". worse yet i think they may have sent me the wrong cds because they say hp pavilion home pc and my computer is an hp media center. it's been one of those days.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Media Center is the operating system, not the brand. Look around the front or side of the computer for the brand name.

I have attached the fix below. Hopefully you can download it now:

[attachment=8119:attachment]

You will need to extract (unzip) the file in order to use it. If you still have trouble, try a different computer. We can fix it manually (if your computer will allow regedit to start), but that is way more complicated. I'd rather use this much easier fix. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 26 April 2006 - 07:50 PM.

momma0203

momma0203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
No luck. I tried to download directly to that computer and nothing happens when i click on the link. then i used this computer and downloaded it to a jump drive but the other computer won't open it. If i right click on start and go to open all users and then go to the jump drive, i can see the zip file but i am unable to open it. all the icons look like a sheet of paper with some sort of windows logo on them.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Use the working computer to extract (unzip) if first. Then transfer it to the problematic computer and try to run it.

momma0203

momma0203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
No luck. i can see the unzipped file but it won't let me run it. Maybe tomorrow i can track down an xp installation cd.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
One last try:

Right-click on the file and select Merge if it is available. Hopefully it is...

momma0203

momma0203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
no. not an option.
cut copy create shortcut delete rename properties
under properties where it says open with it says unknown application?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Give me a couple minutes, I'm gonna make some instructions that may help you out.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Double-click on My Computer. In the menu at the top, click on Tools > Folder Options. Click on the tab that says File Types.

Find the extension called REG. When you find it, highlight it and click Change. When the window pops-up, click on browse at the bottom.

The dropdown window at the top should say Program Files. There will be a button next to it that looks like a folder with a green arrow pointing up. Click on that once. Find the folder Windows and double-click on it. Scroll to the right untill you see regedit. Double-click on it. Then select OK. At the bottom, click on Apply, then Close.

It should allow you to use that fix to restore your programs.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 26 April 2006 - 08:31 PM.

Advertisements

momma0203

momma0203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
double click does nothing. if i right click on start and go to "open all users" and then put "my computer" in the address bar is that taking me to the right place? i went in to tools>folder options to the file types tab but there is no extension called REG.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Interesting...we will add it. :whistling:

In that window, with all the extensions, click on New. In the window that appears, type .reg and click OK.

Now you should see it. Now you can highlight it and click Change. When the window pops-up, click on browse at the bottom.

The dropdown window at the top should say Program Files. There will be a button next to it that looks like a folder with a green arrow pointing up. Click on that once. Find the folder Windows and double-click on it. Scroll to the right untill you see regedit. Double-click on it. Then select OK. At the bottom, click on Apply, then Close.

momma0203

momma0203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
NEW is grayed out, i can't select it. :whistling:

It's bedtime for Momma. Maybe things will look better tomorrow. thanks for all of your help!! :blink:

Edited by momma0203, 26 April 2006 - 08:52 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
:blink: :help: :whistling:

I had to get that out, lol.

Alrighty, exit out of all that. Go to where the fix is. Right-click on it and select Properties. Where it says "Opens with" and there's a change button, click on Change. Click on Browse.

Now try to use the fix.

I may not be here tomorrow, but Friday I'll be here for sure. I hope my above instructions work. :)

Goodnight :)

Edited by computerwiz12890, 26 April 2006 - 09:04 PM.

momma0203

momma0203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
No, that didn't work either.
Frustration got to me and i had a tech check it out for me today. It appears some virus has destroyed my directory by moving and changing everything. I can't open anything because it doesn't know what program it needs to open anything. And, unfortunately, the recovery cd's HP sent me are the wrong ones for my system. So i think i will go buy a windows xp media center installation cd and go from there.

Thanks for all your help!!!!!