Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet sometimes slow and disconnects

• Please log in to reply

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
go to start>>run and type in the word "msconfig" and go to the startup tab. There will be a list there. Uncheck the items that you don't need any more. That should help you on start-up.

Advertisements

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I do this a lot(msconfig), my problem right now is that my internet is acting like dial up when its a cable modem, it used to be fast i used to download thing faster, what is my problem?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Is your cable modem connected to a wireless router, and your computer connected to that router via an adaptor?

Whether it is or not, check your CPU usage while using the internet by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete at the same time. You should see the CPU usage at the bottom of the window that appears. Let me know what it stays around while surfing.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
ok i know were that is but it keeps con telling me different numbers, the numbers that most repeated are 19% and 22%

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Download Process Explorer from Sysinternals
http://www.sysintern...ssexplorer.html

Extract and run it. Go to VIEW > SHOW Fractional CPU usage
Make sure it is checked.

Look in the CPU column and relate what is consuming your CPU

If you can, a screencapture would be useful.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Here is my screen shot:
Screenshot.JPG
note: the CPU numbers keeped on changing but 12% were the most stable.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
It looks good to me. Let's move on.

Download and install Mozilla Firefox

Use Mozilla Firefox to surf the web, instead of Internet Explorer.

Let me know if the internet is just as slow when using FireFox, or if it is much better that when you were using Internet Explorer.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I actually use firefox sometimes, internet sufring is not that slow but when i say its slow is when i use limewire and bitcomet, it doesnt go more that 7 - 8kb somebody told me that is should go to 12 - 13kb at least.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I see...

We here at GeeksToGo will not assist you with issues relating to P2P file sharing programs. While many of these programs are-in-and of themselves legal, most things acquired by their use are not. Instead of attempting to differentiate between the legal use of P2P programs and the illegal use thereof, we have decided to stop helping with issues regarding this software. It is also in your best interest to know that many P2P software packages come bundled with spyware/malware/virii and that their use greatly increases the chances of your computer becoming infected. I strongly suggest that you uninstall these programs and refrain from using them at all costs.

This thread has been reported to the Moderating Staff and should be closed shortly. Do not respond to this thread until given further notice.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Hi BS:

As computerwhiz said, we don't help with P2P problems. If you want to uninstall them and the problem persists, we would be more than happy to continue assisting you with this problem if it is still existent.

P2P programs bring a slew of problems and you should think about getting rid of them. :whistling:

Advertisements

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I only download music so I can here them in my computer, they used to download faster before so its not the programs I got, its a problem with my internet I just talked you about these programs because they tell you the speed of the download, but there is also problems with downloads from the internet its also a bit slower the before, I just told you guys the problems with these p2p programs because they tell you the speed. thats why, i just sad becuase i used to have a faster internet thats all.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
The downloading of music through your P2P programs though may have infected something that is prohibiting you from downloading at a normal speed. It's really difficult to diagnose, though. The P2P programs are like a magnet for attracting gunk.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
ok but i scan my computer with different spyware prograsms and antivireses and it says that theres none so i dont think is that

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
If you want to uninstall them, we will look at your problems. Until then, it is against our site policy. let us know. :whistling: