Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Remove Java RE SE v.1.4.1_02

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I don't mind at all Armodeluxe. :whistling: I appreciate any assistance you or the other Techs have to contribute. :blink:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 07 May 2006 - 12:57 AM.

Advertisements

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi ComputerWiz,

Well, the Kaspersky ended up finding the same thing at the end as it did in the very beginning of the scan: 5 infected files and 1 virus. Unfortunately, I was unable to clean ANY OF THEM. I could not check the boxes to remove the junk. I did, however, save a log of the virus info, and I found them deep in my documents and settings subdirectories. I already deleted Documents and Settings\Vero\jpi_cache\jar\1.0\arczip-28368554-336e44e5.zip. They are so old and have been in my computer since July or September of last year! I can't see how these items have suddenly started to cause problems. I believe that all the objects were from the same zipped file. They all start with the same long chain of numbers and letters: Documents and Settings\Vero\jpi_cache\jar\1.0\arczip-28368554-336e44e5.zip, then some have the extra ending: /web.exe, web.exe/data0005, web.exe/data0006, and web.exe/data0007. These were all called: Infected: Trojan-Clicker.Win32.Small.hn, except for this one: Documents and Settings\Vero\jpi_cache\jar\1.0\arczip-28368554-336e44e5.zip. This one was called ZIP: infected - 4, if that's a name.

This is very frustrating, as I still can't remove the partial file called Java 2 RE SE1.4.2_04. The Dial-a-Fix didn't do anything to remove it. I've never had so many problems related to Java.

Here is the Kaspersky file info, since my computer is not letting me attach a text file:

Infected Object Name / Virus Name / Last Action
C:\Documents and Settings\Vero\.jpi_cache\jar\1.0\arc.zip-28e68554-336e44e5.zip/web.exe/data0005 Infected: Trojan-Clicker.Win32.Small.hn skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Vero\.jpi_cache\jar\1.0\arc.zip-28e68554-336e44e5.zip/web.exe/data0006 Infected: Trojan-Clicker.Win32.Small.hn skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Vero\.jpi_cache\jar\1.0\arc.zip-28e68554-336e44e5.zip/web.exe/data0007 Infected: Trojan-Clicker.Win32.Small.hn skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Vero\.jpi_cache\jar\1.0\arc.zip-28e68554-336e44e5.zip/web.exe Infected: Trojan-Clicker.Win32.Small.hn skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Vero\.jpi_cache\jar\1.0\arc.zip-28e68554-336e44e5.zip ZIP: infected - 4 skipped

Thanks, Armo, for the firewall recommendations. Pop in anytime you want! :whistling: I had heard good things about the Kerio personal firewall from the WXP News guys. It's good to have someone else recommend them, as Kerio was also a sponsor of their newsletter.

I think my next step will be to run a Panda online scan, and maybe a Symantec scan online, as well. I've run many virus scans since these items were put on my computer, but no other AV has ever found these, which leads me to believe that they can't be causing all the problems I'm experiencing now. There has to be something else, right?

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Okay, I seem to have gotten rid of that zipped virus file: Documents and Settings\Vero\jpi_cache\jar\1.0\arczip-28368554-336e44e5.zip because I don't see it anymore in the subdirectories. So, I was thinking, maybe I should check my browser settings (security and manage add-ons) for Java.

I see that that stupid partial file is still in the browser manage add-ons area. First, I tried disabling it, then visited the game site. Almost as soon as I clicked on the load button, the page popped to the Java error page for the game site. So, then I tried enabling both the current Java and that crummy old file. When I do that, the game page seems to load for about 45 seconds, and then the error page for the game site pops up. This is pretty frustrating. Is there some other way to get rid of the partial file for once and all? It seems to be the cause of all my Java troubles. I even went back and dumped the whole Java folder with all the past versions of Java, but that didn't help either. I just want to get rid of that one partial file! It won't go away. It's like a bad penny, just keeps turning up.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Here's more info from the Sun Java Console:

jvm test passed
Sun Microsystems Inc.
jvm test passed
Sun Microsystems Inc.
jvm test passed
Sun Microsystems Inc.
AWT blocker activation interrupted:
java.lang.InterruptedException
at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
at java.lang.Object.wait(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.AWTAutoShutdown.activateBlockerThread(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.AWTAutoShutdown.notifyThreadBusy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.initDispatchThread(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Not sure what this all means, but maybe you'll understand it better than me.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
:whistling: :blink: :help: Oh boy, do I feel like an EEG-NO-RAY-MOOSE! I finally figured out the problem. I thought I was turning the firewall off when I loaded the game, which I have to do when I re-install Norton. It takes the dumb firewall a while to figure out that these sites are okay to visit. Plus, there are some new features (I believe) in the version I just downloaded. The thing was this: I was disabling the AV, not the firewall. As soon as I disabled the firewall, the game loaded immediately. Can't believe how dumb I was! Thanks, so much for your help, ComputerWiz! I'm looking for a bag right now - so I can go put it over my head... :)

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
The teacher in me just has to share this: Tuneup Utilities. I actually bought this app because it was so good. I just now cleared out that pesky little partial file by going into TU and just clicking once. It was gone immediately. I checked the Control Panel & there's no sign of it. I don't know why I didn't just do that in the first place: take a deep breathe, and know that I have this powerful utility. I think some part of me must have been needing drama. Okay, my metaphysical ramblings are done now.

So what's up with my computer & dumb Windows? What a powerless operating system this can be! Please pass on the good knowledge about Tuneup Utilities. I'm certain one of the Geeks recommended this, and I have never been sorry to have bought it. Just wish it was a one time deal, instead of a one year deal.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
TuneUp is an excellent program. I've had several people use it to fix problems :whistling:

And I'm glad you've solved your problem. :help: See how annoying firewalls can be? That's why I choose not to use one. But I make up for it with my other protection and my good surfing habits.

There is another program (not a firewall) which monitors system changes to your computer. With it, you could potentially catch and block infections, as if it was a firewall, since it allows you to accept or deny changes to your computer. That program is called Win Patrol

If there's anything else you need, let me know. :blink:

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
I'm glad you were able to fix the problem. :whistling:

A few notes:

What Kaspersky found are only entries in your java cache, the easier way to clean them is to clean the cache:
  • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on the Java Icon (coffee cup) in the Control Panel.
  • It will say "Java Plug-in" under the icon.
  • Under Temporary Internet Files, click the Delete Files button.
  • There are three options in the window to clear the cache - Leave ALL 3 Checked
    • Downloaded Applets
      Downloaded Applications
      Other Files
  • Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window
    Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
  • Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.
The other point is about two antivirus programs. It is ok to keep more than one, as long as you use realtime protection from only one of them and keep the other one for manually updating and scanning. So, if you want to keep both, just turn the realtime protection of one off.

Happy surfing! :blink: