Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why not use System Restore? (Silly Question?)

• Please log in to reply

opuslife

opuslife

• Pip
  • 1 posts
After a second, somewhat frustrating exercise removing a spyware 'incursion' (Spy Sheriff), which I ultimately removed the same way I did the first one (over a year ago), I'm really wondering if:

(a.) I'm an idiot, or
(b.) An awful lot of people are overlooking the use of a fairly quick, simple resolution to a spyware or malware event in many, many instances.

By simply using System Restore and grabbbing a date far enough in the past (llong enough in the past that it was before I noticed anything odd going on), I've been able to recover from the spyware mess (pop-ups, icon tray, browser and desktop takeover with Spy Sheriff) fairly quickly. That is, after the frustrating search for what it was, convoluted explanations on how to fix it, then suddenly remembering System Restore (poof - done - gone).

Granted, it may not work for every problem, but it's so simple to do, why not try it first? (As a 'non-fix' would be easily returned to the present date.)

Thoughts? I realize that if you have work files or programs installed since your System Restore date, you have to be careful which date you choose, but it has worked very quickly, effectively and painlessly for me.

I'm curious what the spyware / malware gurus think of this.

Regards,

Bob
Highland CA
(from the philosophical writings of 'Keep it simple, stupid' and 'Make sure that there's gas in the car and the battery works before you decide to replace the engine.' ) :whistling:

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi Bob,

If it works: why not?

Unfortunately it often doesn't work, because:
- some Windows versions do not have System restore
- some people do not have it turned on
- sometimes the infection predates the oldest usable System Restore Point
- Restore Points can be damaged by virus- and spyware-scanners
- it doesn't work for all kinds of infections

But wouldn't it be much easier if you made sure that you don't get infected every year by one or the other? :whistling:

Regards,