Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Return of The Computer that Wouldn't Boot

• Please log in to reply

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I took out my PSU and examined it... and as it turns out, the 20 pin connector has... 19 pins. It's missing a pin and a wire, and it looks like it never had one there at all.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is this a branded machine such as HP or Compaq? If it's an OEM machine, it may have a "special" PSU that would have to be ordered from the manufaturer. HP and Compaq are notorious for this...not only is the PSU smaller, but it must be used with their motherboards. :whistling:

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
It's Gateway - they use a standardized non-Gateway PSU that is interchangable with others.

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
[bleep]! [bleep]!

My new PSU arrived (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817104953)
and one connection is incompatable! Plus, it also has 19 wires and pins in the 20 pin connection! IS THIS NORMAL? And apparently 12V PCI connections come in two kinds at least, one row of six or two rows of three, and I have the wrong kind. [bleep]!

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
What the [bleep]?

I put my old PSU back in, (I forgot and used the actual cord of the new one), switched the slots the RAM was in and... it's working now. >.>

Would someone please explain so I know what not to do/do next time?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like Gateways are a bit more proprietory than they care to admit. Seems like Dell and Sony are about the only OEM's using standard PSU's. :blink:

I've run into the memory swap thing before...it's a rare problem and getting more so all the time. I'm not even really sure why it works to do it. I've been told it's because the first stick (Slot 0) doesn't realease what's been written to it, the next boot will produce a very confused machine.

8 times out of ten, the problem you descibed would be power supply...go figure. :whistling:

You might look into replacing the RAM...we now know you have at least one buggy stick.

DirePenguin

DirePenguin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
:\

Well, I think I need to send the PSU back and try and get another that's compatable. It crashed again and it's not working regardless of what kind of RAM flipping I do. I wish I knew how to make it work temporarily like it was before, so I could at least use it while I waited for parts to arrive. In any case, I should be getting my new computer very soon...