Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer starts up, no screen

• Please log in to reply

kuliddar

kuliddar

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi guys,

So here I am minding my own business when my computer freezes up after closing an open window on my computer. I can't do anything to unfreeze which leaves me with a hard shutdown. After waiting a few seconds I turn it back on and...to my horror no screen. I think to myself...hmm...little bug going...nothing I can't fix...but after a second hard shutdown (which I didn't have a choice to do) my computer wouldn't start anymore.

I can usually fix my issues but this one baffles me. When I opened the case to see if perhaps something got disconnected, all was good. I pushed the power button again and there it went booting, but no screen again. Tried it again, my bios popped saying that I recovered from an error because the CPU was not on specific setting. That baffled me because I hadn't changed it since I built my computer a few years ago so why now...no clue. So making sure I have it on the correct setting, I save and restart...i pop on BIOS again stating the same thing. So I set it on manual for the mean time and since, the computer boots but no beeps and no screen. I tried again and the computer didn't start again. I completely turned off the power from the back, turned it back on...it wouldn't start....tried again a few seconds later and it did but with the same results...no screen. This operation happened a few time again.

My screen works as I'm using a older computer of mine that I hooked up with this screen. I have deducted that it either is a power issue, a fan on the cpu, the cpu itself. I'm not sure if it would be the Motherboard nor the graphic card as everything as been running smooth for years (I maintain my computer well and have no crap at all on it, ex: limewire, framenet, etc).

So before I go out and buy stuff that I may not need, I wouldn't mind a second opinion guys. Below are some of the specs of my computer.

AMD AthlonXP 2200+ (standard fan that came with it)
Power Supply 300w
Motherboard : ASUS VIA KT400 A7V8X
Graphic Card : ATI RADEON 9600XT 256MB DDR

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you tried booting to safe mode

kuliddar

kuliddar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Update #1

Ok, so for whatever reason I decided to give the computer another boot. I turn on the power switch from the back of the computer and the [bleep] thing starts booting right away. I didn`t even press the on button in the front which I`m supposed to do. In fact that button isn`t even responding anymore. I have to shut it off using the back powerswitch from the power supply.

So could this be a power + case issue? See, the green light on my motherboard is on which means power is going through, yet there doesn`t seem to be power enough to power the thing off from the front of the computer. Oh....I have a head ache :whistling:

As for boot disk, can`t even do that right now....

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK,

The pressing the power button on the back is normal if you have the PC set to resume to last state after a power outage (so, if the PC was on when the power cut by you flipping the switch, flipping the switch on tries to reboot the machine)

My guess is power supply

The power supply supplies three voltages--12, 5 and 3.3 volts.

The 5 volt rail supplies the power switch and....hmm, not much else (Speaker maybe?). Used to supply the video card. 12volt supplies anything with motors and 3.3 volt supplies everything else

So, given your description, we KNOW the 5volt is crapped out. Odds are, if the 5 volt goes, something else is going to. If the 3.3 volt goes, you will get fans and lights but nothing else.

Use the power supply from your functioning machine to test the non functioning machine

kuliddar

kuliddar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yeah, it seems likely the power supply (lets hope hehe).

Unfortunatly, my older computer is a Compaq that is well....VERY compaq so I can`t really undo anything in there.

Can I just buy a 350 or 400w power supply and put it in my case or do I need to get a new case as well to accomodate the power supply (first time I have to replace this piece so I`m not sure). Will increasing from 300w to 350w+ do anything to my motherboard (in a negative way)?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Yeah, it seems likely the power supply (lets hope hehe).

Unfortunatly, my older computer is a Compaq that is well....VERY compaq so I can`t really undo anything in there.

Can I just buy a 350 or 400w power supply and put it in my case or do I need to get a new case as well to accomodate the power supply (first time I have to replace this piece so I`m not sure). Will increasing from 300w to 350w+ do anything to my motherboard (in a negative way)?

you can generally just buy the supply

more watts is ok

kuliddar

kuliddar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Update #2

Ok so I picked up a new power supply, installed it, but I still have the same issue.

I'm not sure what to do anymore.... :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no beeps at all? No bios screen at all?

That sounds bad, as in CPU-friend bad. A fried CPU will still sometimes complete a circuit and allow a PC to appear as if it is booting. Any diagnositc lights inside the case?

Or, toasted motherboard....look for leaking capacitors.

If it were me, I'd be pulling parts and testing with known good parts I have laying around.

kuliddar

kuliddar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well it ends up it was my motherboard that fried. Perhaps even the chip but since it's very hard to find Socket A boards and cpu's I decided to simply change both. My computer lives....thank god :whistling:

Thanks for the help. :blink: