Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just replaced the back plate on a computer

• Please log in to reply

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
surfer99

No problem. Butt in anytime. Everyone's welcomed.

You know, I never checked to see if in the BIOS is a setting for the fan. Sounds dumb.

Anyway, I took it to the computer shop, he's a good friend. He did everything I did and it did the same things. This time we checked the BIOS and it said the CPU was 49 C. We reached in and touched the CPU and it was as cold as ice. The fan blowing just fine. He said that the sensors are probably off and as long as you can touch the heatsink and it's cold, don't worry about it.

On the start up thing. When I press the power on button, the lights come on, I can heard the fans start and then about 2 seconds everything goes dead, then in another second it just restarts itself. This all goes on before anything is showing on the screen. Total time from hitting the power button to restarting, by itself, is about 5 seconds.

Again, my friend said it works. It could be a burp in the power supply. But it powers on and runs fine.

So I just returned it to the owner. He's getting high speed put in, in the morning. Will go back over there afterwards and check the settings in the BIOS and see if I can set it to quiet fan.

Been messing with this since 930 this morning. Took out the motherboard, put it back in, take it out, put it in. It's now 430 in the afternoon and found out that there's nothing wrong with it.

I just love working on computers. hahaha

Thanks surfer99 for your two cents, will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks dsenette for the help.

Next project, replace the power supply, if I have to.

Ya'll have a great Memorial Day weekend

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

49 C.

just to make it clear.....that's still an acceptable temperature (for either pentium or amd processors) anything above 56c usually worries me