Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSVCRT.DLL on my damned nerves!

• Please log in to reply

KenL2

KenL2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. I've been having problems starting and/or installing a couple of different software programs. I get this message: Error Starting Program
! The MSVCIRT.DLL file is linked to missing export MSVCRT.DLL:??_U!YAPAXI@Z

I've been back and forth with HP tech and they've been little help. It started with my ScanJet software, but now I see it's not just that. I had a new videocard (& driver) installed last week, and the guy swears it can't be that, but I'm not so sure. This all started after I got it back from him. Regardless.... My question is this.
If I just have that missing .dll file, can I get it and install it myself? I had downloaded it from a website that locates .dll files, but it just went onto my desktop. I've no idea how to get it where it needs to go. Or if that's even the right move. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.
Ken L.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
No good on your desktop. To be certain Windows can find it, best to copy it to the two most likely folders: C:\WINDOWS and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
Won't do any harm to put it in two folders. Don't use Win98 so can't check where it's supposed to be. IN Win XP that file is in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
so if Win 98 has SYSTEM32 folder inside the Windows folder, put a copy in there as well.

Right click the file which is on your Desktop. Select 'COPY'. Now Open each of the two folders I mentioned in turn, right click a blank space in each folder
and choose 'PASTE'. The file will be copied to the folder.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
1st you have to check if your msvcrt file is missing or just damaged or it could be to old to run the new stuff you have(true they have old versions)
Search for the file. if it is found you will have to replace it.
I can send you the file.
The file lives in c:\windows\system
If the file is there copy the file you have on your desktop to a floppy.
you can not replace this file whilst windows is running. You will have to
restart in DOS mode and at the prompt do the following.
please do this when you can have some peace
If the file is there (it must be) rename the file to msvcrt.old
copy the file from a: to c:\windows\system.
then do a serch and make sure you have 2 files in this directory
1 called MSVCRT.OLD & 1 named MSVCRT.DLL if they are both in the directory
eject the disc from A: & reboot.
You must do this when it is peacefull if you make a mistake you will have trouble
starting windows. If in doubt do nothing contact me and I will try to make the steps easier.
Cheers
peterm

KenL2

KenL2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Straight UP, this is the best thing ever! Thanks a million guys. HP tech support had me jumping through hoops for days to no avail. You guys had the answer right away. Wow! Thanks again.
:tazz: Live Long and Prosper.
Ken L.