Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing or damaged hal.dll error message?

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmm...two setups going...this is going to be interesting. :whistling:

Let's try to get one of them to complete. It's hanging up on some piece of hardware. Each time setup runs, it will try to "skip" the problem device...and eventually will in most cases. Try running the setup two or three times in succession. Give it plenty of time when it appears to hang to be sure it is actually hung. See if it will go by the hardware issue.

Advertisements

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Oaky, we shall start with the second one perhaps? I should put the cd iin and let 'er rip?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let the machine choose...that way we'll be working on the same one each time. Just let 'er rip...

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
So, shall i put in the cd and just go? Or should I go from the Safe Mode OS List?

Edited by meremoongirl, 30 May 2006 - 12:25 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Restart the machine and when setup starts, give it the disk and let it try to complete.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Well, its still just chillin at 33 minutes . It has been there for about a half hour. This is the tenth time officially since i first did the repair install.
Should i go to the safe mode and try the lower Microsoft XP? Alos, any idea why there might be two of them?
This comp was rebuilt for me by my dad. We dropped my old harddrive into this one, used the old drive as just extra drive, and used the main cdrive off this rebuilt one for everything. Is it screwed up maybe because pf the extra hard drive? Im thinking my old hard drive has a windows on it as well, and thats why there are two of them. My old hardrive was starting to screw up, which is why we got the new comp., and dropped it in.

Well, I went into safe mode and chose the second Windows to start. Dropped in CD. its been hanging on 33 for about fifteen minutes. Ill leave it to go. Maybe My old harddrive needs to be yanked out . Theres not much on it. Just remainders of stuff from my old comp. I guess I could just wipe out the comp, and do a clean install.. but then i lose years worth of pictures etc. :whistling:

Edited by meremoongirl, 30 May 2006 - 01:34 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Which drive is the pictures on? The current system drive?

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
YEs, once the comp was set up and running, my dad told me i should get the stuff off of the old hard drive and put it on the C drive because my harddrive was on it's way out.
Oh, and it's still hangin at 33 minutes.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How are you about being inside the case of your machine?

I'm thinking...do a clean install on the old drive, use it to get your data off the current system drive, partition and format the newer drive, install Windows on that, and transfer the data back from the old drive. This will require a little cable changing and jumper setting changes. Not tough at all.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
hmm. well, Ive never been inside my comp before. I know my dad had a helluva time getting that comp running, for the longest time it wouldnt start, he had to do sum stuff to get it to recognize the drive at all.
Are you suggesting that I switch drives, manually, and run windows xp clean install on the old drive, move files, then do a new installation on the newer drive ? Would I be able to acess the new drive from the old drive if there is a hardware problem?
Is there any way that if I just took the old drive out and just used the new drive, that perhaps the repair disk would work?

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Um... sorry for butting on your topic but... i had this problem once the thing was.... i was running a dual boot system which helped me out.... anyway..... did your old hard drive also have an OS on it? or was it just to store data??. if it does have an OS thy unlugging the drive. Ask Wannabee1 first though after all hes the expert not me :whistling:

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
there was an OS on it. You see, my old comp had only one drive. But all my info was on it. It was starting to grind badly and make noise. My dad brought over his comp because he had built a newer one for himself so he was giving me his old one.. It was all cleaned out and had the Windows Microsoft XP Professional Media on it. We dropped my old ahrd drive into it so that I wouldnt lose all my files. I dont think i deleted Windows on it, although I may have. I did however copy over everything else, pictures, documents etc, and deleted the originals on the older drive. I beleive hwoever there is still an OS on there. My dad suggersted moving everything off of it because he felt it was gonna go. Even recently, when i would go back to the old drive to look for something, it would start to amke alot of noise when acessed.

Edited by meremoongirl, 30 May 2006 - 04:28 PM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
ok hmmm...... cant access computer huh?? are you using a notebook or a desktop right now?? cuz why dont you try using your new drive on a desktop as a secondary drive copy all your files of of there plug it back on the old CPU and reforamt the hard drive.. ?? dont know im not as smart on this subject as wannabee1 is so... its a suggestion

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Well, thats what i was thinking of doing. My b/f's comp and mine are networked. Im on his. I just dont think there is enough space on his comp to transfer files. when he gets home from work, i could ask him if I could do that. I dont wanna start messing around with his comp wihtout permission. I knwo he was worried that perhaps if a virus is what started this in the first place, that putting infected files on his comp could be dangerous.

meremoongirl

meremoongirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
WEll, I think i'm going to use Wannabee's suggestion and try switching drives on the comp. See if I can get a clean install on the old drive.