Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible overheating? help

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

oh. I just checked another program and it gives a reading of 55*C for the graphics card. That sounds better,huh?

edit: Okay, I think I found the problem. Speed fan will give a really high temp(or really low) if that particular sensor is not hooked up. One example I saw had a reading of -128 or something. So the high temp I was seeing was really nothing. So I guess I ordered a bunch of fans for nothing. Thanks for your help and advice.

That is better but you can never go wrong with fans. If you upgrade at some point, you may need those extras to help keep it all cool :whistling:

Advertisements

luckyboym

luckyboym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
with the other good recommendations you gave me, I was wondering if you had any ideas for a good cpu fan for an AMD x2 4200?

Edited by luckyboym, 07 June 2006 - 09:59 AM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I did a little research and this seems to be the most liked of the ones I found. Keeps it cool and is quiet. You have to remember though that if you have a small case it may not work because it IS bigger than the one given to you with the CPU/mobo.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835185125

luckyboym

luckyboym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Awesome, I think that one should work fine. Thanks again for all the advice.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
that is a goof fan but i just thought that i would add that it is nice to have a fan that blows down on to the motherboard aswell this helps to keep the capacitors cool around the CPU and the motherboard which surrounds the processor
just an idea
troppo

luckyboym

luckyboym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I know this is off topic, but maybe you can answer a memory question. Is it necessary to use the same brand when adding to existing ram? I have 2 but I want to add these to bring it to 4 gig.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145575

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
The BRAND doesn't need to be the same. But you do need to make sure that the frequencies of your existing and new RAM are EXACTLY the same. Also, computer like even numbers so don't get 3.5 gigs...that wouldn't work :whistling:

luckyboym

luckyboym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
by frequency you mean the 2-3-3-6 or whatever right? Is there a way I can check the frequency of my current memory?

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
"Also, computer like even numbers so don't get 3.5 gigs...that wouldn't work"

I've never heard this before??? For one thing why the [bleep] wouldn't it work? And what about all the people with 128 MB, 256 MB, or 512 MB? 512 MB is .5 gigs...so that wouldn't work???? I know people with 1.5 GB and it works just fine.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Gamer...lemme rephrase that. 3.2 Gigs wouldn't work....haha, no people with like 768 or whatever have problems :whistling: Sorry for the confusion.

Lucky, that number sequence is the timing. The frequency is like (my memory is) PC4200 533MHz DDR2 RAM. So when I upgrade, I'm looking at DDR2, 533MHz RAM.

Advertisements

luckyboym

luckyboym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
okay so I match up the frequencies and everything should work. What about putting pairs of memory together? I read somewhere that pairs should go in the same color slots. Is this true? My mobo has in this order:Blue,Black,Blue,Black. The first blue and black are the stock memory. Do I need to put the stock in both blue and the new ram in the black slots or what?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You will need to read your manual for memory configuration specs, smoe dont like certain set ups and if you max out all the slots there are often restriction on what you can use and the maximum speed.

I think that Blackpandemic means is that some computers have problems with odd numbers and if you have dual channel it wont work if you have odd numbers of ram.

You can actually mix and match memory speed but it will only run at the speed of the slowest stick.

luckyboym

luckyboym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Okay, here's an update. I installed the fans and temps are around 34-36 inside case, 39-42 cpu, 52 video card but, I am still getting the lock up problem. The next thing I could think of was the power supply. I just got a new 500 W, but is this enough? Recap of my system: AMD x2 4200, dvd burners x 2, 4 gig ram, 300 gig hdd x 3, ATI x1800, sata hdd card, tv card, turbine style 120mm case fan, 80mm case fan, ac cpu cooler, ac vga cooler, Thats about it. Is a 500 W power supply enough for this setup? Is there any other possible cause for the lock ups?

Edited by luckyboym, 13 June 2006 - 12:11 PM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well 500W is fine and dandy but it depends on how many amps it can provide to all of thoose components

it seems that you have a fair bit of stuff connected to your computer have a look at the ratings on the power supply that will give you the specs on how much amperage your PS can supply

troppo

luckyboym

luckyboym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
This is my current power supply. Does it look adequate for my setup.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817159040

Brand COOLMAX
Model CP-500T
SPEC
Type EPS12V
Maximum Power 500W
Fans 1
PFC Active
Main Connector 24-Pin
Dual +12V Yes
Over Voltage Protection YES
Overload Protection YES
Input Voltage 100 - 240V
Output +3.3V@30A, +5V@50A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, -12V@1A, [email protected]
Features
Features Active PFC, EPS+12V, UV tube design to tidy the wires, 3 Speed Fan Control & Serial ATA Ready.