Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant Always Download

• Please log in to reply

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I can't think of anything else to speed it up. I have given you all the suggestions I have about using excess programs.
Good luck.

Advertisements

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
This the message that comes up, but this makes it take a little longer to load up then it did before. But if I disable it then all the programs I did not want running at start up, will :whistling:

Posted Image

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I have never been fond of the System Config Utility for disabling startups. If at all possible, it is better to disable start ups within the software. I use Mike Lin's StartUpCPL which puts an entry named "Start Up" in your Control Panel and lets you make quick changes for start up items. You may want to experiment a bit to see what you need and don't at boot, and you might want to try to isolate the software that is causing the delays.

However, these threads started off about your inability to download from your browser. Have you resolved that problem? Did you go to the link I gave you and grab a song? If that worked, please let me know. If it didn't, I would like to know that, too.

Johanna

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Thank's I will try that out, cheers. I was able to download the song you gave me through the link. Thanks for all your help, but one question though why on earth did you close this thread

- Clicky

No offense here, but did you even read the thread or topic title ?. You said ''You have multiple threads about the same topic. '' I would love to know where I have have even made another topic about logging in.

The new thread I made was about logging in, so thx for closing a thread which did not need closing.

Dont take that the wrong way but its really annoyed me.

Again big thx for all the help you've given me, and I will defo be trying the new StartUp method after I try to disable start ups within the software.

Oh and which tab do I disable my start up programs in using ''Mike Lin's StartUpCPL '' as theres a few options ?

# Startup (user) - the current user's Startup folder in the Start Menu.
# HKLM / Run - the Run registry key located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. These apply for all users.
# HKCU / Run - the Run registry key located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. These apply for the current user only.
# Services - system services that are started before the user logs in.

I'am guessing the startup tab or do I change one of the registry keys ?

Edited by The G, 10 June 2006 - 05:30 AM.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

No offense here, but did you even read the thread or topic title ?. You said ''You have multiple threads about the same topic. '' I would love to know where I have have even made another topic about logging in.

The new thread I made was about logging in, so thx for closing a thread which did not need closing.

Even though they may be two different issues, it's like putting two pieces of the puzzle together. That problem added to this problem may have provided an answer. And if two different people are working on your machine at the same time without each other knowing it, you might be moving backwards instead of forward. Keep all the problems in the same thread unless asked to post a new thread with a link.

I didn't close it, but I would have.

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Yup, your right. I think I may have sounded a little rude so i'am sorry for that. You make a very good point. Johanna sorry I sounded a little harsh, my bad. If your still willing to answer my question above that would be great. Again to both of you sorry for sounding ungrateful.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you were able to download the song from the link I gave you, IE isn't as broken as we might have assumed. As far as logging in- what happens when you try? Have you cleared your temp files lately?

Johanna

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Dear The G,
Underneath my name it says Global Moderator. That means I can see your IP addy. I sent you to a link to download a song. I own that site, and guess what? I can see your IP addy. You didn't go there, but you said you did, and worse, you lied and said you performed a download.

In three threads we have addressed your inability to log in to some sites, but not others, download from some sites, but not others, examined your logs for malware, and made a valiant attempt to reduce your start up list. Coachwife6 gave you her expert advice. I can no longer assist you. If another volunteer decides to help you, good luck. I am done, though. Goodbye.
Johanna

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hey hold on a minute, I went to your site, And I can prove it right yes I thought you would be able to see my IP right I aint been on your site today and you will know this because you wont have my IP logged today on your site right ?. On your site you have about 6 or 7 songs listed and you talk about a group who you think are really good I woulden't know that if I never went there. The reason it might say I never download the song is because when I had the problem it it always started to download and it would say it was done in about half a second and only download 1kb as I said in previous posts. You rsong started to download fully so I knew it was working fine and I cancelled it half way through. So I never fully downloaded it because it was working great. I really have no idea why my IP does not show up but I went there. I wish I could prove it all I remember is there were about 6 to 7 songs listed you talked about your fav artist the page was not very flashy it was very basic it had text written at the top of the page where the songs were I think it was in black.

You may never read this, but I did go to the site and you have to believe me on this. I went to your site how would I know about the above ?, I aint looked at your site today to get that info you can check my IP address, I went last time when you told me, this does make me look like a lie'd to you now, I hope the above is proof I went because I did.

Ask me something about your site and I will try and remember it. Maybe my IP did not log because I never fully downloaded the song ? but it still should have logged anyway because I went to your site.

I hope you read this though, I did not lie I went to your site and you just made me out to be lying, ask me to go back today when your on and see if it logs my IP address again.

You really shoud have let me explain myself before saying I lied. If you dont read this post I thank you for taking your time to help me, even if you think I lied about it. :whistling:

Edited by The G, 11 June 2006 - 02:20 AM.