Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System running v.slow ... but it's not spyware. Help!

• Please log in to reply

Matt_T

Matt_T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi there

I haven't heard back for a few days on what to do next so I thought I'd add a quick request to any of the Tech Gurus out there who might have suggestions on how to proceed.

Matt

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you still have the tune up trial run that

Matt_T

Matt_T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hey Keith!

Thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated.

I have 20 days of Tune Up left. Have run it through and there's maybe a 10% improvement but it still feels as if it's not getting at the real root of the problems (whatever that is).

Coachwife did mention the possibility of CPU overheating at one point. I disassembled and vacuumed out my PC tower and took out plenty of fluff but again no major effect.

She recommended I check CPU temp with Motherboard monitor but I couldn't set it up to detect info from my sensors, my motherboard (Dell Dimension 2400 Pentium 2.66Ghz) wasn't on the available list with the prog.

Is this a valuable avenue to explore further or would you suggest a different approach, let me know.

Cheers,

Matt :-)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then sensor

Look on the right for temperatures and post those

Matt_T

Matt_T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Here's what I got:

Sensor Type HDD

Temperatures

IBM IC35L120AVV207-0 37 °C (99 °F)

I've no idea what it means, except that I'm guessing my hard drive is at human body temp. Whether that's good or bad I'll have to ask you!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That is good, is it the only one shown?

Matt_T

Matt_T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Yep, I copied and pasted all the data there was. No other temps given.

Matt

Matt_T

Matt_T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Dear Keith / wannabe1

Hi there! Do either or both of you have any more suggestions or tests that you'd like me to be running?

Let me know and I'll get to it.

Thanks for your continuing efforts.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download, install, and run WinAudit. Save a report to the desktop in HTML format. This will place 3 files on the desktop...right click on "rightframe.html", point to "Send To" and choose "Compressed (Zip) folder". Send that compressed folder to me as an e-mail attachment...I'll PM you with the address.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The WinAudit shows you have three Anti Virus programs installed. Do you have more than one of them running at any given time?

Advertisements

Matt_T

Matt_T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
That's very odd! I only run avast at the moment.

When my PC was new it came with McAfee (I think) which I let lapse and switched off when I was asked to pay for updates.

I used to have AVG before avast but swapped over (uninstalling AVG) to see if it made things better. It didn't have any effect I could notice.

I would never run more than one antivirus at once because I've always thought that's a big no-no.

What others does it claim I have?

When checking for spyware etc with coachwife6 she checked over my startup lists and there was no other antivirus software in evidence.

In the system tray I have just ZoneAlarm firewall and avast running.

What do I need to do?

M :-)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm not really sure yet. There's a lot to look at in these reports... :whistling:

Open Event Viewer (Start>Run>type eventvwr>Ok) and click on "Applications". List a few of the most recent errors here for me. Then click on "System" and do the same.

Open the WinAudit report, look under the heading Error Logs, and look at AntiVirus Errors. Interesting, no? Then look under Application Errors...have you been having problems with Outlook and Word? Looking under the System error section is showing equally disturbing results.

Let's try a selective startup and see if the system perks up any. Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Under the "General" tab, tick the button next to "Selective Startup" and uncheck the box by "Load Startup Items". Apply the changes and reboot.

Upon startup you will receive a selective startup dialog window...click "Ok".

How does the machine run configured like this?

Matt_T

Matt_T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
It's bedtime in the UK now but just a quick reply:

I often have trouble with Outlook, I'm desperate to replace it with something like Thunderbird but can never get T-bird to migrate my data and settings across properly.

On the other hand I almost never have problems with Microsoft Word.

Weird error logs tho! Don't really understand them though.

Reduced startup doesn't make a big difference so far...

Speak in next few days when you've had a chance to look more at the unending WinAudit file.

Cheers :-)

Matt

Matt_T

Matt_T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi Wannabe

Hope things are good over there.

I've got a fairly free day today here in London so if there's anything you'd like me to be doing to my PC then let me know.

All the best,

Matt_T

Matt_T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi there..hi Keith....Hi Wannabe1....

Hope you're well. In London it's 32 degrees and scorching.

Haven't heard from you for a week or so...you might be thinking things over or on hols of course but thought I'd ask if I should be doing anything....I heard my thread will get deleted after another week if we don't chat some more...and that would be a shame afer coming so far.

Anyway, hope to hear soon.

Cheers guys,