Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer all of a sudden is slow...

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Now we're getting somewhere...I think...

Click Start then Run...type cmd and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r (note the space), and press "Enter". You will be told the volume is busy and asked to schedule it to run on the next boot. Type Y and press "Enter". Reboot.

This will run on boot-up so restart will take quite a while...be patient...let it finish.

Advertisements

WannabePBA

WannabePBA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK, so I started the CHKDSK at about 8 o'clock. 5 hours later it gets to 50 percent. It sits at 50% for about 45 minutes, then it starts scrolling like crazy: "Not enough disk space to replace bad sectors detected at line XXXXX." I'm transfering my 20 gigs of music to my Ext. HD and I'm going to restart the CHKDSK and leave it over night and see if it'll finish.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good plan... :whistling:

I'll be interested in knowing just what it finds, although, it will probably boot into windows once it completes and leave us in the dark about what all it did. A little warning here, this many bad sectors may be indicative of a hard drive going bad...which would certainly explain your sudden slow down.

WannabePBA

WannabePBA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well, in that case, should I even bother with it or should I just take it in for service and have them replace it, since its only about 6 weeks old? Maybe that's why it crashed before.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let it run...let's see what happens.

WannabePBA

WannabePBA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK, I started the CHKDSK back up again at around 1:00 am. Woke up at 9:30, and it still at 85%. Went back to sleep and an hour later woke up again and it was done (I make my own hours at my job, so its not like I'm a bum or something, lol). Restarted the computer to see if it would start up OK, but it didn't. No improvement at all. So I got frustrated and took it to Best Buy and they said they agree that its most likely a bad HD and that they'll do their diagnostic and replace the HD if it turns out to be bad (I hope its that, cause they said if its anything else they'd have to ship it out, and I can't be without my computer that long). The guy said that they might have it back to me tonight, which is pretty good turnaround. I thank you for all your help, though. I'll be back if I have any problems in the future.

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanks for the update. I would be very interested in knowing if out troubleshooting was accurate.

WannabePBA

WannabePBA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK, I'll let you know once I get it back loaded up with all my programs again.

WannabePBA

WannabePBA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well, I got my computer back. Turns out the hard drive was bad all along. They replaced it and re-OS-ed the computer. Thanks for all your help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanks for letting us know! :whistling:

Advertisements