Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant see drives in "my computer"

• Please log in to reply

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
clicked on the my computer.. it sees the drive.. clicked on the drive to make a new folder.. the pc froze.
Do I have to boot normally to try and install the software?.. or can I try and install it in safe mode... hoping that the pc does not freeze..

seems i am learning more about computers in the last 24 hours than i knew ever before..
thanks a lot

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try to install in Safe Mode first. If we can get your data moved, we'll have way more options.

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Wannabe
I managed to install the software in safe mode.
Have made a folder called backups as you suggested.
Have managed to copy over a few files.. a very few family pics.. before the comp froze. shall keep rebooting in safe mode and try and continue dragging and dropping a few files at a time. and see how it goes.
shall keep you posted

Thanks so much for your help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes. Only rather than drag and drop, use the Copy/Paste function. Open the folder that contains your file, left click on one to select it, press and hold the Crtl key while left clicking on another 5 or 10 files. Release the Ctrl key and right click on one of the selected files. Choose "Copy" (or Crtl + C from the keyboard) from the menu. Open the folder on the external drive, right click in it, and choose "Paste" (or Ctrl + V). This method is slightly easier on system resources.

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Wannabe.. you are a gentleman

I managed to copy over all the files I needed onto the external HD.. specially all the family pics.
I would love to be able to copy over all the outlook personal folder.. which contains all my emails, contacts, tasks etc
Is there any way I can do this in safe mode?
After this.. what do you suggest?.. do a new windows install if possible?.. and how?..lol
I am a happy person at this moment... and thanks to you
please advise
Thanks so much

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Create another folder in the external drive and name it outlookbu.

Do a search (All Files and Folders) for yourusername.wab, right click on it in the Search Results window, and choose "Open folder containing". Locate the file (Typically, it's highlited) and copy that to "outlookbu". That will be your address book.

Then navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{D324AA16-726F-48C5-8AD9-BD549A8FF04B}\Microsoft\Outlook Express and copy all of the files in this folder to "outlookbu". Those will be the emails.

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Wannabe.
I dont use Outlook Express.. I use Outlook.
I shall look for the folder as you suggest. Imagine that the {D324AA16-726F-48C5-8AD9-BD549A8FF04B} would be different?
Please let me know
Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Everything should be the same. That's the folder that Outlook uses to store the e-mails.

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi Wannabe
Have tried several times to do a search as suggested. I get into safe mode.. but immediately i type in the search parameters, the pc freezes.
Is it worth me carrying on? Could I do system restore in safe mode? restore the system back to about 2 weeks ago?can that be done?.. can'd do any more damage than is already been done.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
By all means! Definitely try a System Restore... :whistling:

I half expect we'll be doing a clean install, though. Before doing that, though, let's empty the Prefetch folder and reboot a few times. To do this, Click Start, then Run, type prefetch and click "Ok".

In the folder that opens, click on "Edit" in the toolbar and choose "Select All". This will select all the files in the folder...press "Delete" and accept the change. To repopulate this folder with fresh files, reboot 3 or 4 times.

Run the machine for a bit and see if it crashes. There are a couple other things I'd like to try, too... :blink:

Advertisements

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok thanks.. shall give it a go.

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi wannabe
done that.. deleted the prefetch.. have rebooted again and am in safe mode.. ran prefetchagain.. .. there are no more files in that folder
whats next you want me to try
Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Bring up the "Run box" again, type msconfig and click "Ok".

Under the "General" tab, tick the "Selective Startup" radio button, and remove the tick from "Load startup items". "Apply" then "Ok". Reboot.

Upon startup you will receive a Selective Startup dialog window...this is normal. Tick the checkbox to not show it again and click "Ok".

Run the machine a bit...still crashing?

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ran msconfug.. btw the load up items were already unticked, have been running in safe mode all the time with selective startup.
the machine tried to reboot.. and has crashed each time.. this is the third time..

fourth time.. the pc has rebooted and has not crashed in the last 5 minutes!!
shall leave it running till I hear from you

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is it running in Normal Mode? And not crashing?