Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Join the Geeks To Go team in other ways

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
This program has been screening a protein for 56 hours! ONE! Wow, they usually were only taking 8 hours or less. It's finally at 99% now, so I'm hoping my computer doesn't freeze up or anything before finishing it!

Michelle :tazz:

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,470 posts

Having the grid downloaded as I write this. I am all for anything that is help in  Cancer research. I lost a sister to cancer and my mother is a two time survivor. Not to mention countless other friends we have lost as well.  Sounds like a good thing.  :tazz:

View Post

Im very sorry to hear about this ;) hopefully we can all work together to help save others from the miserable pain you have suffered

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
bananafanafo,

Thats pretty normal but does depend on your system especially the cpu and you randomly got a harder work unit but you also will earn alot more points because the work unit was bigger/harder.

I currently have 2 computers processing work units and the one is very old and randomly got one of these harder units and it took it 6 days to complete but it did and the results got returned.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi Lusi,

Welcome to the team, I lost my dad to this dreaded disease 1 year ago in May. My dads computer named "Sunny" (dads nickname) for this project now only process work units to help fight cancer and runs 24/7.

Rick

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts

bananafanafo,

Thats pretty normal but does depend on your system especially the cpu and you randomly got a harder work unit but you also will earn alot more points because the work unit was bigger/harder.

I currently have 2 computers processing work units and the one is very old and randomly got one of these harder units and it took it 6 days to complete but it did and the results got returned.

Rick

View Post

I ended up getting over 1,000 points for it! I was afraid to shut down my computer while it was working because I was afraid of messing up the 58 hour protein! :tazz:

Michelle

Lusi

Lusi

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Im very sorry to hear about this sad.gif hopefully we can all work together to help save others from the miserable pain you have suffered

Thank you very much soxrox. It is hard to lose a loved one, especially to see them be taken away slowly as cancer takes over their bodies.
I am greatful that my mother was spared, and I believed it was with God's help and the advancements that have been made in todays medical field. I know that programs like this are what helps in the research and as I said before I am happy to help. And it it were not for people like you who find the ways to help and get others involved it would still be a secret, so I thank you and all who help, from the bottom of my heart.

Welcome to the team, I lost my dad to this dreaded disease 1 year ago in May. My dads computer named "Sunny" (dads nickname) for this project now only process work units to help fight cancer and runs 24/7.

Thanks for the welcome Rick and I am so sorry to hear that. HUGS I do hope that some day they find a cure so that no one else has to suffer. :tazz:

Thanks again everyone, hope you all have a wonderful day!

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,470 posts
After reading all of these heart touching posts, i believe we are all after the same cause- so with only more and more people joining all over the world, the results are endless...new hopes for many are being fufilled so all we can do is spread the word and try to do something for others in our busy lives ;)

Everyone who has joined and is fighting for this worthy cause deserves a pat on the back :tazz:

Keep up the good work,

Hemal

Lusi

Lusi

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Everyone who has joined and is fighting for this worthy cause deserves a pat on the back

And a big ole pat on the back right back atcha babes, thanks for bringing it to our attention! :tazz: ;)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi everyone,

Been quiet in here for awhile now so I thought I would yack abit.

Remember above when I said about my dad's old computer and that I named it Sunny after him for this project and that I leave Sunny run 24/7 (can't ya just tell I'm proud Sunny is a part of this)

Well Sunny is chuging along perfectly crunching those numbers but I got to wondering what it would do to my electric bill because I also leave other computers running for this project and I am sure some of you would like to know to.

I found this site if anyone is interested in what it costs to leave your computer run you can calculate it.

I would not want to speculate on dollar amounts because electricity costs vary but according to the site a computer running a cpu intense program like we are uses no more than a 90watt light bulb and I believe this is on the high side because they are being safe and I am pretty good with computer hardware and have a understanding on what it takes to run these things.

Check it out you can pretty much get a exact figuare

Keep up the good work and keep crunching

Rick

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
There is no doubt that running your computer will add slightly to your electric bill. There are some people that takes projects like these to the extreme, and fill rooms with computers. Not only do the computers use power, but it also requires extra cooling. I've heard stories of these guys getting knocks on their door because they're suspected of growing illegal drugs. The amount and pattern of their electric usage raises suspicion. ;)

I normally recommend that if someone uses their computer everyday that they leave it on. Most computer technology was developed for servers, which are designed to run 24/7. I obviously use my computer a lot, and I also use it to receive faxes, so it's always on. Plus, I figure I built a fast computer with a lot of processing power, I might as well put that technology to a good use, and if it costs a few more dollars in electricity per month, it's for a good cause. :tazz:

Advertisements

Lusi

Lusi

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

if it costs a few more dollars in electricity per month, it's for a good cause

Amen to that. :tazz:

I seldom shut my puter down anyway , unless there is a problem and I have to reboot. lol I usually give it a break on the weekends, if we are going to be out for the evening and I know I will not be on til late the following day then I will shut it off completely to give it a break. ;)

Thanks for the info though Doby, it is good to know. ;)

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,470 posts
i love leaving my computer on but i always get people telling me ill cause a fire leaving it on? i dont listen and still always have it on :tazz: but now im wondering could that happen? Its plugged into a surge protecter with only 3 our ot the 6 plugs used...proper cooling and never had problems with heat in the area...feel stupid for asking, but anyway i think that leaving it on also allows for the computer to just remain at ease and also leaves the GRID program to run longer ;)

Lusi

Lusi

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I myself am no expert by far but I would not think that leaving the computer running would be no more dangerous than leaving say your television plugged in. (Even though the tv is off there is still power going in to it).

And at a class that I took one time where the question came about as to leave the puter on or shut it down when finished the instructor and myself came up with this between us (mind you I work somewhat in the automotive field so this sat well with me and the gentlemen in the class..lol) We compared the comuter to a diesel engine...shutting it down and starting it back up tends to be hard on the parts inside. Most truckers leave the big trucks running when stopped because when stopped if shut down then upon startup it takes more power and wear for the starting components to fire the engine back up, same with a CPU..when the power it put to it it is harder on all the delicate parts inside to get everything going again. :tazz: Make sense?? Well it did to me.. ;) lol

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
In very rare instances I have read and seen one instance were when a power supply in a computer fails it will produce smoke not a lot but you could see it. Most of the time when a psu fails the computer will stop or reboot. In these instances no flames were ever reported and in the one I observed I removed the psu and took it outside and pluged it in to see what would happen but it would not restart. when I took it apart to inspect some wirers were melted thus the smoke but seeing as it is incased in metel I see no way it could have started a firer

Anyway a firer from a computer is no more likely to happen than with anyother appliance in your home.

I believe the biggest danger to a pc when left running all the time is a power failuer, by leaving it run it is more likely to be on when the power fails but if you don't get them very often in your area I would not worry about it.

If you do have power problems get a upc (uninteruptale power supply) it will supply battery back up power long enough and comes with software to automaticlly shut down windows even when unattended. I got one good for 1 system (computer and monitor) for $40.00 at Walmart.

Lusi has a point about shuting down and starting up especially on a cold boot because electronics don't like tempature change.

Rick

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,470 posts
sounds good to me...thanks guys :tazz: