Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB driver

• Please log in to reply

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Device manager:

there are no "USB 2.0 Host Controllers" or "USB 2.0 Root Hub" listed under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in device manger. There are 2 "generic USB hub", 1 "logitech USB camera (web)", 2 "NEC PCI to USB open host controller", 1 "Sony Memory Stick Reader/Writer", 2 USB Mass Storage Device", and 2 "USB Root Hub"

Advertisements

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Device manager:

there are no "USB 2.0 Host Controllers" or "USB 2.0 Root Hub" listed under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in device manger. There are 2 "generic USB hub", 1 "logitech USB camera (web)", 2 "NEC PCI to USB open host controller", 1 "Sony Memory Stick Reader/Writer", 2 USB Mass Storage Device", and 2 "USB Root Hub"

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Last thing:

I have
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

AND, no I didn't upgrade. I have had windows XP home edition for about 2 years. I was installed a new Hard Drive by Best Buy (under warrenty) because the old one "malfunctioned". So I installed the professional edition of windows on the new hard drive when I got it back.

Edited by arabcamel, 09 July 2006 - 08:12 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this

Let's go for the "complete" USB driver renewal and see if that helps.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- cut before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

I stole ..uh uh.. borrowed this from johnwill so if it doesn't work we will blame him ....and of course if it works I should get the credit :whistling: :blink:

Edited by happyrck, 10 July 2006 - 10:05 AM.

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
After following your steps, the computer recognized a "universal serial bus controller" with a yellow question mark. It recognized that with my "PCI modem". But now my USB mouse and 2 USB harddrives are not being recognized... So i think it made it worse as you partially pradicted. So we'll blame that other guy. :-) hahaha

but could you help me get my mouse and hard drives to work again before going on?

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
ok, nevermind, I restored from a system restore point from last night, so i got the mouse and hard drives working now. But the complete renewal didn't work to get my USB running at 2.0. any more ideas?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try getting all of XPs updates..also try uninstalling "Sony Memory Stick Reader/Writer"

Edited by happyrck, 11 July 2006 - 11:51 AM.

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I just discovered my ipod wont work until I make the USB 2.0 either. It wont read it. that sucks hah

Anywho, I went to windows update and downloaded every update possible and I didn't delete sony memory stick reader/writer, because I recently installed that hoping that would fix it, but it didn't.

Unfortuneately those two things didn't help.

BTW, I can't thank you enough for continually helping me through this.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
found this in everest's report...
"Unknown: Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

I'll bet this usb controller is the problem...we need to get the proper driver for it...I still think you should be able to get all your drivers from the manufactures site...you might try their support section..

Bus 2, Device 7, Function 2 NEC uPD720101 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller (v1.0)...
when I do a search for the drivers for this..Xp with SP1 is supposed to supply drivers for it..when I try to get drivers from NEC for this chipset it wont let me ..you should be able to get them from the laptops site

Edited by happyrck, 11 July 2006 - 12:47 PM.

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I think you are right as far as that being the problem. I went to the laptops website = http://esupport.sony...l?mdl=PCGV505BX

I didn't find anything regarding USB there. I went to that website and installed everything I needed when I installed windows XP on my new HD. I have SP2, so I probably can't download and install the one that says it came with SP1 right?

otherwise, I should already have it, because I installed xp professional with SP1 with it.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it will be the chipset drivers...you can try downloading the drivers and installing them...yes XP SP2 is supposed to have generic usb drivers that will work..did you look in their support section..?

http://esupport.sony...y...&NAVDISP=pc

use the "detect my model"

Edited by happyrck, 11 July 2006 - 03:15 PM.

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
the link that you gave me leads me to the same website I had already posted. I looked through all the drivers again, just in case. It seems like the only thing close to being related to chipset drivers is the "bios instillation utility". other than that, the chipset driver is not there.

is it possible that my laptop can't handle xp professional?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get your bios update utility...it might get us to "enabling " usb 2.0 hi speed...in the BIOS....did you use this tool to see exactly what model you haave

Edited by happyrck, 11 July 2006 - 05:07 PM.

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
yea i used that link that you gave me to see the model i have, but I already knew it anyways, it's printed on my laptop. I'm gonna try the bios utility now...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
:whistling: update the bios and reboot...hope it works..if not look in the bios for the usb and enable usb hi speed