Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME System Files Altered

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Put it in the top one....

Advertisements

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Same results, the only difference is that it did make an attempt to read the drive, (lights flashed, hissing sound et. al) but it produced the same notices as before... I tried several times...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmm...

Let's try it back in the bottom drive. At the E:\ prompt, type f: and press "Enter". At the F:\ prompt, type setup.exe and press "Enter".

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
We're in business... :whistling:

It's doing a setup check now and Drive C and D had no errors. I guess I'm suppose to exit from this window for the next step to happen, right?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It should just continue on it's own. Unless there is a prompt such as "Press [a key] to continue", see if it will go on by itself.

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
No it needs my response....my choices are to View Log or Exit ( I'm in a Microsoft ScanDisk blue screen)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Exit would be the choice you need...it already said it found no errors... :whistling:

The installation should then begin. It's been a while since I've done this with an OEM cd. :blink:

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Now you tell me.... :whistling:

In any event we're at the wizard Windows ME Set up screen, so I'm going to follow instructions and watch out for the warnings.....Wish Me Luck :blink:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you were going to get the warnings, you would have already seen them. You are on the downhill side now...good job! :whistling:

Let me know how it goes...

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Yes, I will and anything they recommend, I will go with their recommendations! I don't want to start getting creative now that I've gotten this far!!!! :whistling: (Of course that's thanks to you!)

Advertisements

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Question?

On second thought, I'm being asked if I want to keep my existing Windows system files (which is assuming that I'm using something other than WIN ME.)

Now if my existing file is a corruptive WIN ME file, do I want to keep it, just the same or what?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No...there may be some corruption present in those files...plus they'll take up quite a bit of space on the drive. Say no and continue on... :whistling:

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Just checking in...it seems as though all's going according to the program..

It states that 17 minutes are left, although it's been on this Setting up Hardware page for a long time....there's no bar meter there so I can't tell if it is really doing anything

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hardware setup sometimes takes a while...be patient.

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
You are so right; it just swithed over to a second restart.

However, each time it stopped on the set-up screen with the 4 choices. Normal was pre-selected and on a timer so, I did nothing.

Now it's on to some other things....

Gosh, what would I have done if I did not have this laptop to stay tuned in to you!!! :whistling: