Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router/Ethernet Card difficulties?

• Please log in to reply

Zeljko

Zeljko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes, both the Cat 5 cable is plugged in correctly.

Advertisements

Zeljko

Zeljko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes the Cat 5 Cable is plugged in correctly.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...you don't have the ethernet cable plugged into the WAN port on the router do you?

what you should have is wire from the wall to the modem...cat5 from the modem to the WAN port of the router...then from the LAN port to the pc

Zeljko

Zeljko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
That's exactly how it is. Cat5 from modem to WAN port, then Cat5 from LAN to Basement Computer Ethernet port, but the basement computer still refuses to acknowledge that anything is even pluggedinto the ethernet port.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmmm....did either of those two ethernet cables come with the router? try switching them

Zeljko

Zeljko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I switched them, but that didn't work. The router didn't come with any ethernet cables.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmm...is it possible for you to move cmputer 2 (upstairs) down to the basement to see if you can get it to connect via ethernet?

Zeljko

Zeljko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well I can't bring the upstairs computer downstairs right now, but what I have done is I have brought the router upstairs, plugged the router into the wall, and connected the router to computer 2. When I did this, the LAN light cam on on the router, and light at the back of computer 2 came on. Now, there isn't a modem upstairs, or any internet connection, but what this test indicates to me is that the problem lies with the basement computer, not the router. The LAN light never comes on when the LAN is connected to the basement computer for some reason.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
:whistling: that's what i was wanting to check...hmm... since computer2 will be connecting wirelessly...is the ethernet card built into the motherboard or is it a pci card?

Zeljko

Zeljko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It's built in.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
rats...how about the basement computer?

Zeljko

Zeljko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Same thing. Built in. I phoned the customer service line for the router the other today. He was just as baffled. He told me to phone the basement computer manufacturers to see if there was some kind of hidden setting or something. I think he was reaching, but right now, it looks like the only thing I got left to try.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's possible that that card is indeed NOT working...even though it seems to claim that it is...

let's try one thing

with teh basement computer plugged into the router
get back to the screen where you saw the two network connections..
right click on the rhyne one and choose properties...then click on tcp/ip and choose properties.
now let's assign a static ip address
for the ip use a number that is 1 digit higher than the ip your wireless card is getting (i.e. if the upstairs machine's ip ends in .2 make the downstairs one .3)
then put the same subnet mask and default gateway as the upstairs computer

can you ping the router now? (start > run > cmd> ping <your default gateway ip>)

Zeljko

Zeljko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Nope, it said host unreachable. I'm curious about one thing though, when I manually put in the IP address, gateway default and subnet mask, there was something below it about putting in a DNS address or something. Is that of any importance?

Zeljko

Zeljko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
and if the card is not working, why does it work, when I connect the modem to the basement computer without any router? It's bizarre.