Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to install an internal hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Looks like this one is going to have to be manually installed. It's still not being detected... :blink:

I know it's late there and this next stuff will be time consuming...would it be better to begin fresh tomorrow?

Hi wannabe1
:help: your right it is late here nearly 3.58am so if you dont mind yes this afternoon if thats ok with you Thanks again your the greatest wannabe1 goodnight.

Cheyenne 09 :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's at least get a start on this...and let's start from scratch. I'll need some information that's printed on the top of the drive, so go ahead and take the drive out of the machine. While it's out, note the jumper's position...double and triple check that it is set as Master. Also look at the 40 pin connector...make sure there are no bent or broken pins (check the jumper pins for this, too).

Post me the model number you see on the drive's label so I can round up the spec sheet for that model.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi wannabe1
:help: I got your message this morning I have opened up the dell again and got the information you requested. The Hitachi deskstar model number..HDT722525DLAT80 ATA/IDE
LES
I have changed the setting from slave to master as you requested. I also checked all the pins in the back of the drive and the connectors there all in excellent condition. Thanks again for all your help...

Cheyenne 09 :whistling: :blink:

Edited by cheyenne 09, 16 August 2006 - 03:40 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Alrighty then...let's connect it as Primary Master and see if your machine will detect it. You won't need to actually mount the drive in the case for this, just prop it on a book or something to keep it from resting on any metal while we do this.

Remove the ribbon cable from the current Master drive and connect it to the new drive using the same connector (the end one). Plug in the power cable and power the machine up with the WinXP cd in the cd-rom drive. When you see the prompt at the top of the screen to "Press any key to boot from cd", press the space bar. Follow This Guide until you get to This Screen (Figure 06) and post back with the partition information...I'm paticularly interested in the size that is reported.

Edited by wannabe1, 16 August 2006 - 04:13 PM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi wannabe1
:blink: just got your message will I use the other computer while I am doing this to get your instructions or do this and then post back. Thanks wannabe1

the first drive is a sata does make any difference

Edited by cheyenne 09, 16 August 2006 - 04:30 PM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Hi wannabe1
:blink: just got your message will I use the other computer while I am doing this to get your instructions or do this and then post back. Thanks wannabe1

the first drive is a sata does make any difference

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, it does...sorry, I forgot about that little detail.

Look on the motherboard. Move the IDE cable that was hooking up the slave (new) drive and connect it to the...boink!...(sound of the lights coming on)

Which IDE connector on the motherboard were you connecting the new drive to when it was set as slave? They are marked as Primary and Secondary (some are IDE 0 and IDE 1). We need to be using the Secondary (IDE 1) connector. Let me know this before we continue...that may have been the problem.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Yes, it does...sorry, I forgot about that little detail.

Look on the motherboard. Move the IDE cable that was hooking up the slave (new) drive and connect it to the...boink!...(sound of the lights coming on)

Which IDE connector on the motherboard were you connecting the new drive to when it was set as slave? They are marked as Primary and Secondary (some are IDE 0 and IDE 1). We need to be using the Secondary (IDE 1) connector. Let me know this before we continue...that may have been the problem.

Hi wannabe1
I dont know what a boink is but IDE 1 is plugged into the motherboard before I started so dell had this already installed the Ide 1 cable on to the motherboard and that is what I connected to the new hard drive as didn't add any cables so does this help please let me know. Thanks again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The boink! was the sound of an idea hitting me.... :whistling:

Ok...Connect the new drive to the motherboard using the end cable connectors From IDE 0 to the new drive. The drive should now be configured as Primary Master. Power the machine up and follow my earlier post to get the partition information.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

The boink! was the sound of an idea hitting me.... :blink:

Ok...Connect the new drive to the motherboard using the end cable connectors From IDE 0 to the new drive. The drive should now be configured as Primary Master. Power the machine up and follow my earlier post to get the partition information.

Hi wannabe1
sorry for the wait I unplugged the IDE 1 but cannot find the other slot on the motherboard to the left is the cd-rom slot and on the right the IDE 1 cable slot and above is the floppy slot so where is the other slot advice please and your boink was brilliant. thanks again

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What is the label for the slot the cd-rom is connected to? There should be two IDE connectors and a floppy drive connector. As you were using a SATA drive as Master, I'm willing to bet that the cd-rom is connected to IDE 0.

Sooooooo...connect the new drive to the cable (end position) the cd-rom is connected to and connect the cd-rom drive to the cable you've been connecting the new drive to. Unplug the SATA drive completely until we get a formatted partition on the new drive.

IDE 0 connected to the new HDD...end connectors

IDE 1 connected to the cd-rom drive...end connectors

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

What is the label for the slot the cd-rom is connected to? There should be two IDE connectors and a floppy drive connector. As you were using a SATA drive as Master, I'm willing to bet that the cd-rom is connected to IDE 0.

Sooooooo...connect the new drive to the cable (end position) the cd-rom is connected to and connect the cd-rom drive to the cable you've been connecting the new drive to. Unplug the SATA drive completely until we get a formatted partition on the new drive.

IDE 0 connected to the new HDD...end connectors

IDE 1 connected to the cd-rom drive...end connectors

Hi wannabe1
I have changed ribbons over and disconnected the sata by unplugging the blue ribbon and power cable do i remove the blue ribbon from the motherboard do I power up the computer with the windows cd in Thanks again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Perfect! :whistling:

Power up with the cd in the drive and do as I suggested in post #79.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi wannabe1
I have powered up the dell and it come up with this information sata primary 0 not found secondary drive not found press F1 key to continue or F2 for setup is this because we changed the bios the other day will I change it back or what the computer. the computer I am using is slow sorry. Thanks again

Cheyenne 09

Edited by cheyenne 09, 16 August 2006 - 06:57 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Not what I was looking for, but helpful none-the-less... :whistling:

Remove the XP cd, power the machine off, and disconnect from the power source (wall or back of power supply...pull the plug)

Hook the SATA drive back up as it was.

Jumper the new drive as a slave (again). Connect it to the center position on the IDE 0 cable (former cd-rom cable).

Connect the cd-rom drive to the end position on the IDE 1 cable.

Connect the power cables to all drives and plug the machine back in to the power source.

Power the machine up. It should boot to Windows and (hopefully) detect the new drive as Primary Slave...the cd-rom should be detected as Secondary Master.