Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Admin Rights

• Please log in to reply

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
AitrusSkyy is absolutely correct. USUALLY repairs go smoothly, but before you boot with that cd make sure you have as much data as necessary backed up (you have to pull the drive and grab it with another computer) because it MIGHT get lost. It PROBABLY won't, but better safe than sorry. Good point, AitrusSkyy!!
Johanna

Advertisements

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
yes i do agree with both of you.
i forgot to mention that part.
but most ppl i helped out, it works oust smoothely.
this doesnt rule out errors though, but in this case back up is debatable.
if a virus is involoved it would have corrupted many files.
the backup is just gonna transferr corrupted files to the dvd or cd and then back on the computer if attempted to use.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Well ive done countless retsores on my own machines testing out viruses etc... and others computers attempting to repair instead...

I know what you mean when you say it works... cause it worked forever to repair windows instalations...

then one day it froze up on a customers pc, and my mouth dropped open... luckily I had stuff backed up, but I was like What the... is going on... its always worked...

I like to see computers as a mathimatical equation in life... like the # 100, or 100%... there is no way to evenly devide 100 into 3 parts... you can say 33 1/3 x 3 = 100% but that isnt whole... its the unbalanced equation...

All computers have this, and at one time or another they reach that point, and by all means everything should work as its made to work, and you are doing everything the right way, yet for some odd reason it wont freaking work like it always has...

gotta love them...

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Sometimes a computer starts throwing errors, and we decide to repair Windows first, but the underlying issue is hardware related and somehow all the files are suddenly just gone. Now if you had access to sophisticated recovery software and the FBI had you on the Most Wanted list, that data would be retrieved more than likely unless...the harddrive breaks. Once the harddrive is good and broken (It can be very satisfying to place a wayward comp in the driveway and drive the truck over it a few times) no one is getting the data, even if you make inappropriate remarks about blowing up airplanes. It's gone, toast, goodbye. I hate telling someone all their pics and docs are gone. I hate it when someone's hard worked genealogical info can no longer be retrieved. I like to get on a soapbox and shout "back up back up back up!" but no one hears me, or cares until it's just gone. Repairing XP - I would say my success rate at keeping the data is about 80%. The odds are with me, but how valuable is the data. No one can make that decision but the owner.
Johanna
Backing up XP

Rickles- (still with us- we got sidetracked!) you are showing an account with admin rights, so you should be able to create another account with admin rights. Have there been any other prompts saying you don't have admin rights, or an inability to perform any other function than an ICQ one? I think repairing Windows over this is a little drastic, because if that user account you currently have is corrupted, we can probably fix it easier than risking a repair. If you aren't getting any other errors than that ICQ one, it is probably bad code by ICQ, not your Windows admin rights- just my thoughts.

Johanna

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
Hi Johanna,

I'm still with you.

I only get the message about admin rights when trying to instal the new ICQ.

I don't mind doing the Windows repair as there is nothing on the computer I cannot replace or need.

I back up all my work etc to a removable drive or DVD.

Regards

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
welll maybe thats a good idea.
after the back up though, maybe i should recommend scanning the removable drive or dvd. cuz if a virus or malware screwed up your computer in the first place, it might be transferred on to that dvd and then come back to your computer. and then you know what willl happen. the same old screw up
:whistling:

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
[attachment=10298:attachment]

I usually check both the main and the backup together for viruses but I have just scanned the removable drive on its own (see photo) and Ad Aware was also negative.

Regards

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
personnally i h8 windows anti malware programs
try a different program.
check for adware, spyare, virus, and bots.
i use Avg antivirus, Sypbot serach and destroy for bots. adware se personal for adware.

Edited by nerdcentral, 20 August 2006 - 10:14 AM.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
Hi,

As requested I have scanned the computer again using:

Ewido
Ad Aware SE
Crap Cleaner
Spybot

nothing was found on any of the scans.

Regards

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
i think now its safe to say that your computer is safe

Advertisements

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
Hi,

Now that's cleared up what about the Admin Rights issue?

Regards

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
curious, controluserpasswords2, is this a CMD command or runbox command because normally it is

Press: winkey + r
type: control userpasswords2
press: enter.

Edited by fleamailman, 22 August 2006 - 03:06 AM.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
[attachment=10323:attachment]

As requested.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, so one needs the space between control and userpasswords2 in the command.

It is a pity that it has SP2, or we perhaps we could have used the

window XP privaledge escalation exploit.

that is to hack into admin

I know that this is your machine but I don't think Geekstogo should be teaching this stuff or else other people will copy it.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
so what happens now? :whistling: