Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP on a Mac...

• Please log in to reply

kevinmetz

kevinmetz

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I recently just got a macbook pro and it has the option of using dual operating systems, either windows or the mac os. I have windows xp on my home desktop, which is a pc, and i want to install windows xp on my macbook. Could I use the same installation cd to do so? or will i have to purchase a new license for windows xp?

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Usually, (I'm guessing this disc is OEM) you have 2 validations of the same key (for if you need to reinstall xp). Yes, this should work, however you can't just stick the CD in the macbook and expect it to run it. Apple has made it easy (yeah, I know - what a shock!). You can download bootcamp @ http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ which allows you to install windows on your mac!

~Sam

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the actual answer is no...xp (in any itteration other than volume licensed versions) can only be installed on one computer at a time...so in theory...if you uninstalled xp from the other computer you would be able to install it again on another computer...but you cannot have xp with the same license key installed on two computer's at the same time...and if it is an OEM disk...TECHNICALLY by the letter of the law (eula) you cannot install that version on any other computer than the one it came with

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
If you own a copy of XP or any other x86 operating system Parallels will run them right in the Mac OS

Edited by Josiah, 13 August 2006 - 11:29 AM.