Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass.exe error on startup

• Please log in to reply

PMBruner

PMBruner

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Had the same problem described in this thread. Used the procedure provided by subtle and it worked perfectly. I did have to copy all of the registry keys as was suggested if the SYSTEM key alone did not resolve the problem, but the system is back. Thank you very much subtle. Oh and that boot disk is very valuable as well.

Advertisements

BigJefree

BigJefree

• Pip
  • 1 posts
thanks Subtle for your clear explanation, worked overhere! Your my hero for a day :whistling:

AlphaMouth

AlphaMouth

• Pip
  • 1 posts
STOP - SOLUTION HERE

thegorx is DAMAN! His solution is right on and I've corrected an unbootable system with his solution. I even tried several tools on the Hiren's boot CD to no avail. His solution WORKS!

No drive swapping
No re-install
No extra work that really isn't needed

I did use an NFS DOS mounter (NTFS 4 DOS) to browse and move the needed files. Only hiccup isthe long file names in DOS. Make sure you have an editor that can give you the support for long file names.

Other than that....PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks thegorx, you ROCK!

~AlphaMouth
MCSA MCP Net+ A+

lucegunz

lucegunz

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Working Solution! - Without swapping HDD, re-installing windows or losing data.

Hi folks, I recently had trouble with the registry in Win MCE. - Missing '....config\system' on start-up.
I couldn't use the recovery console as Windows was not detecting my RAID NTFS HDD.
I followed the MS instructions.... which created the new problem "lsass.exe, password not valid, reboot).

This is what worked for me.

Requirements:
1) System Restore enabled in windows.
2) NTFS Dos Pro and a Boot CD/Disk - Preferabbly Hiren's Boot C (which is loaded with all the apps you need). Hiren's Boot CD (http://thanki.tk or torrentspy.com)
3) Don't use the system.bak file located in windows\repair.
4) Don't assume that either of the _regis~1, ~2, ~3 or ~4 files in a RP\Snapshot folder are the registry files you need - they are not.

Steps.
1) In your BIOS, set 1st boot device to CD.
2) Reboot with Hiren's Boot CD (or similar).
3) Load NTFS DOS Pro. (in the NTFS Ext2Fs Tools menu on the Hiren CD). You can skip Checkdisk
(use pro instead of regular NTFS as it lists long file name details)
4) Once loaded, the 2nd last line of text indicates the new temporary drive letter of your HDD, in my case D:
5) switch to D:
6)i) You will probably have short file and folder names displayed instead of long when you 'dir', however the full name appears once you are in the directory.
6ii) type (without quotes ' cd system~1\_restor~1\rp95\snapshot '
(RP = restore point, the higher the number the more recent the rp. if this doesn't work for you, try a lower/older number).
7)type ' dir/p ' to list the files in the directory. (use /p, not /w for this)
8) Look through the text (file details) on the right to find ' _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM '. Look across to the left, this is the file size (which should be fairly large, eg 5,365,760 in my case). To the left again is the actual file name, in my case ' _r62e7~1 '.
9) You may need to tap the space bar again to finish listing all the files.
10) Once at the command prompt, type ' copy _r62e7~1 d:\windows\system32\config\system '
11) Overwrite = Y
12) Reboot (CTR+ALT+DEL)
13) Load windows.... sucessfully hopefully.

If this doesn't work for you, try;

A) Reload NTFS PRO, go back to the same RP\snapshot directory and copy the following files (copy the actual file name, not the details text).

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_DEFAULT

copy (overwrite) the above files to their corresponding file in the config directory (step 10). eg _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTARE copy over ' software '

Above are all the files that Microsoft recommends you overwrite..... however MS caused my lsass loop in the first place!

B) Try copying the _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM from another restore point directory.

Thank you to ealier contributor's in this thread who pointed me to the restore point directory, I would still be stuck if not for your posts. Previous methods in this thread may work for other people, just not me with my setup.

I solved my lsass issue last night, after stressing out for a day. So I thought I'd join this forum just to ad the process that worked for me. If the above steps help even 1 person then I'm happy.

- Good Luck.

thank you very very much for the clear discription i had to register on these forums just to thank you for saving me quite a bit of time lol

was working on a friends pc that was having the hive issue i replaced the system file and then it got past the blue screen but the error about isass and the password kept coming on and i couldnt get back in the recovery console and i had a hirens boot cd laying around and popped it in and followed your instructions and it worked great

once again thank you very much

bclakey

bclakey

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I need a little more detail on that step-by-step.
I don't know how to "Load NTFS DOS Pro".
I don't know DOS very well.

bclakey

bclakey

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm trying to make a bootable CD I'm not sure what I'm doing. Will you please help?

I've downloaded different versions of Hiren's bootable CD.
Here is what I got.

Hirens.BootCD.8.8_9down.com.rar

HBootCD.8.0.rar

A folder named keyboard patch
BootCD.txt
Hiren's.BootCD.8.8.iso

I've used NERO and selected the option Burn a bootable CD.
I've tried burning the Hirens.BootCD.8.8_9down.com.rar to a CD and the Hiren's.BootCD.8.8.iso to a CD.
When I place it in the computer I am trying to fix it will boot from both CDs but I don't get a menu like some of the screens shots I found online.
I get the cmd prompt - [DR-DOS] A:\>
So I'm not sure if I'm making the Bootable CD correctly or if I'm supposed to type something there.
Please help.

lucegunz

lucegunz

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm trying to make a bootable CD I'm not sure what I'm doing. Will you please help?

I've downloaded different versions of Hiren's bootable CD.
Here is what I got.

Hirens.BootCD.8.8_9down.com.rar

HBootCD.8.0.rar

A folder named keyboard patch
BootCD.txt
Hiren's.BootCD.8.8.iso

I've used NERO and selected the option Burn a bootable CD.
I've tried burning the Hirens.BootCD.8.8_9down.com.rar to a CD and the Hiren's.BootCD.8.8.iso to a CD.
When I place it in the computer I am trying to fix it will boot from both CDs but I don't get a menu like some of the screens shots I found online.
I get the cmd prompt - [DR-DOS] A:\>
So I'm not sure if I'm making the Bootable CD correctly or if I'm supposed to type something there.
Please help.

if ure boot cd works type m hit enter menu should come up then u can navigate through the diffrent programs and find the one ure looking for you dont need to use ntfs pro if u want u can use the regular ntfs 4.0 either one will work i used the second one cuz i had problems mounting ntfs pro

shwan

shwan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Magusbuckley, I too have had the error many times and haven't found another way other than the one you suggest. I did want to say I was LUCKY once, and with ERD I was able to do a system restore to a point before the error, hasn't worked since then.
Good Luck All!

-Shawn

newtoncd84

newtoncd84

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had the same problem and booted from UBCD4Win and restored the registry to a previous date, rebooted and the system was good-to-go.

Don B

Don B

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I treid the soulution that subtle wrote but i keep on getting "file not found" whne i enetr the command cd system~1\_restor~1\rp95\snapshot

I have tried changed the restore point to all sorts of numbers but have had no luck. I really dont want to format the drive, any ideas??

Advertisements

underworld

underworld

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hello, I'm currently having this problem

i can't go to prompt cause it asks me for password, and it reboots with lsass error message continuously

1. i don't know if I have system restore enabled so maybe I can't use 1 solution that you guys already posted

2. does it really works reinstalling windows? do i have access to previously installed programs as some said?

3. anyone else tried the solution of installing the HD in other computer? (i already copied system from c:\windows\repair b4 getting the lsass error...

Please can someone help? I have data not backed up from an accounting program...

fanton

fanton

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello,

ran into this problems on a friends PC. I opted for the Repair Windows installation using my SP1 CD. It went well, for a while, but after updating to SP2 I've had many problems. I'm guessing that a virus got in. Opening IE is a pain, usually opens multiple times, sometimes two windows, sometimes 70! Microsoft Update shows no more available updates, although it is still running IE6. where is IE7?

We've decided to upgrade the HDD, so I will be installing windows onto the new HDD through firewire from my laptop.

memo65

memo65

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having the same error message! The problem I have is I don't have the Windows disks. So now what do I do? Anyone?

Edited by memo65, 24 October 2007 - 10:21 PM.

Bonkers_Insane

Bonkers_Insane

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there;

I was browsing your thread in search of an answer to this very problem, and I would like to say that there are some very good answers.

I would just like to suggest something I did just recently

Run off a live cd like Ultimate Boot CD :
http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm for instructions on how to make one
Boot to this disk, run registry restore, select a date that is a couple of days before problem, then whammo you are fixed
I had this exact problem and had it fixed in less than an hour, without reinstalling or difficult manual copying

jsinnola

jsinnola

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi there;

I was browsing your thread in search of an answer to this very problem, and I would like to say that there are some very good answers.

I would just like to suggest something I did just recently

Run off a live cd like Ultimate Boot CD :
http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm for instructions on how to make one
Boot to this disk, run registry restore, select a date that is a couple of days before problem, then whammo you are fixed
I had this exact problem and had it fixed in less than an hour, without reinstalling or difficult manual copying

Ok, so I just burned the boot CD and have put it into the affected computer. Now I see a bunch of options listed. Which one do I choose to proceed?

Sorry, I just need a step by step!