Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe crashes

• Please log in to reply

speedbag

speedbag

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello Forum

I know this has probably been talked to death, as I've seen in on several "tech" and "windows" forums, but no viable solutions as yet.

First, Running Windows XP home, ver. 51. build 2600 xp_sp2. 1gig ram

For some reason, when I open Windows explorer.exe from either the (1) desktop shortcut (2) the program under accessories or (3) clicking the explorer.exe file in the windows folder (all suggestions on other forums...) I get the same problem:

When opening files (particularly video clips with Windows Media Player) after the third or fourth file, an error message comes saying "explorer has cause an error and must close". I can ignore the error window, and open 2 or 3 more clips (or text documents, or music files....at this point it doesn't matter) and then explorer closes. The desktop clears, as does the taskbar, then all reappear. but explorer has closed and must be reopened again. and again. and...... ad nauseum.

I have done the obvious scans: spyware, virus, registry etc. and cleaned up various problems, files etc. but no joy on this one. I tried the SFC /scannow sequence and it won't recognize my original Win XP CD, (nor does an option come up to point to the cached windows folders...)

Microsoft acknowledges the problem in Explorer.exe may generate an application error but the listed Duser.dll link doesn't work. Others have said this has not really worked.

I did several system restores back to a time B4 this all started happening, (before a bunch of XP updates, and before they were loaded - and after they were loaded) with no change. that leads me to believe it is not a registry problem, but something loading or a damaged .dll or app file. ??

I have no other application problems at this time other than this. Explorer.exe is probably my most used application for file management, so constantly closing is extremely annoying. It mostly happens when using Window media player .wmv, .mpeg. mp3, etc. but once the error comes up. Get ready to close. Any insights would be appreciated.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi speedbag...

Interesting problem...I wonder if you're loading a corrupt file from Prefetch.

Click Start, then Run, type prefetch and click "Ok". In the folder that opens, click "Edit" on the toolbar and choose "Select All". Right click on a selected file and choose "Delete". This should empty the Prefetch folder. Reboot.

The Prefetch folder will repopulate with fresh files when you restart, so startup may seem slightly slower the next few reboots...it can take up to 4 restarts to completely repopulate.

Does this have any effect on the problem?

wannabe1

speedbag

speedbag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the Reply wannabe1

Well, actually the problem has expanded to be more like what others have reported with explorer.exe crashes. I happens soon after opening.

(1) I just ran Registry Mechanic 5. Found a lot of crap, broken or bad listings and repair them. 28 listing were like below:

FX - 1
Location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.000\OpenWithList
Value : default = blank
Parsed :

FX - 2
Location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.022\OpenWithList
Parsed :

FX - 3
Location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.023\OpenWithList
Parsed :

but I don't know if this refers to Explore.exe or IE.

(2) Ran AD WARE SE and SpyBot-Search & Destroy Each found different things. Fixed all problems they found

(3) Ran most up to date McAfee full system Scan. no threats or virus found.

End Result: Now Explore.exe crashes on everything. Even swapping a few files from one directory to another. It is not just Windows Media Player anymore. ??? ahh.

But Wannabe1 I have NOT tried the the Prefetch Folder, so I just did that and will reboot a few times to see what happens.

Also will try to find an up to date version of Duser.dll, as suggested by Microsoft. I guess you just rename the old file and put in the new? (I haven't done much .dll changing )

Again, thanks for your help. This must be a common problem for a lot of "tech" and computer boards have similiar listings.
I can see the writing on the wall..... Time to buy a FILE MANGEMENT or SYSTEM MANAGEMENT software program. I can't see wiping a system and reloading tons of software because Explorer.exe doesn't work.

speedbag

speedbag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, as did as Wannabe1 said:

"Click Start, then Run, type prefetch and click "Ok". In the folder that opens, click "Edit" on the toolbar and choose "Select All". Right click on a selected file and choose "Delete". This should empty the Prefetch folder. Reboot.
The Prefetch folder will repopulate with fresh files when you restart, so startup may seem slightly slower the next few reboots...it can take up to 4 restarts to completely repopulate"

and also followed the advice of someone who said "completely clear the "document-settings/profile/user name/local settings/temp and temporary internet files directories.

After 4 reboots, the problem is not occuring, and explorer.exe is NOT crashing (yet).

Thanks Wannabe1 for the help, AND the info on Prefetch. Never knew about that B4.

I also found an interesting answer to explorer.exe crashes and error messages on Annoyances.org.
It is a suggested registry Hack:

"run regedit and find the following key :- HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
Delete the "Default" value then close"

I'm not sure what this would do.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

...but I did find a really nice "explorer.exe" replacement program, called Clikview I has a lot more features than Explorer.exe and is a great pic viewer, with thumbnails settings and setting media (pics, movies, mp3) program preferences. A little high at $35.00 but the free version has really worked great. I may buy it, and use it over Exlorer.exe

again thanks. This is an exceptional of help forums.