Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where you bought your computer?

• Please log in to reply

f_n_v

f_n_v

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new computer, and I would just like some opinions on the places you found to be accommodating in what you were looking for (store/online). I’ve had trouble trying to find a computer that has a fast processor, bus speed, and disk speed. Any info would be helpful thanks.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, I am in Switzerland but I imagine that the basic problem is the same wherever one is: to buy at a small shop or a big surface store.

I bought my first comp back in the win98 days from a large store here in Geneva and when it went wrong the person who had sold it to me was no longer there and the new person wasn't at all helpful and the warenty was over, just someone standing behind me happened to hear the conversation and advised me on how to fix it, the start of my slipery road to self help.

All other comps that I have bought have been from little shops where the boss is normally the one selling the comps. May cost a little more but it really makes a difference when one wants to add bits or new programs regardless of how much time passes, the boss cares.

These days though I don't even buy comps, I retreve them from the skip(thank you Geneva for those who ever wish to be "a la mode") and then have fun with a screwdriver swapping bits. The point being that whatever you buy now will be out of date in a while.

Sorry, and I understand that this isn't exactly what you are asking but it is my overall view on this subject then.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I build my comps, there are a couple companies that i would consider possibly buying from but only as a last resort or i wanted something special i couldnt be bothered hooking up and i doubt ill ever have cash to be that frivolous, i would go to a custom builder rather than pre built which is a bad idea all together.

In the US cyberpower is the most obvious one that comes to mind.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
hmm desktops... build it myself. Or if you aren't comfortable with that, go to a small computer store and buy all the parts there and have them build it for 30$, sometimes these stores are actually cheaper than the big stores (Futureshop...) I'd buy the monitor at a big store just because of better warranty. and you can get them on sale for a lot cheaper. I have never dealt with an online store when it comes to desktops, but have ordered parts from newegg/ncix/tigerdirect.
For laptops, Dell i just got one and i have to say they have some good deals on if you spend sometime on the phone with the sales rep and have them find the best deal for you.
But what it really comes down to is what you wanna do with that computer, circuit city or bestbuy won't have the best deal if you want a super gaming machine, but if you are looking for an everyday pc, they can definitely help you out.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
For the cheapest PCs you would have to go to a company like Dell or eMachines, but you get what you pay for. Like Gladiator said, you could buy the parts (with the assistance of a sales person as long as you make sure they aren't trying to get you to buy the most expensive stuff) and have a local PC shop set it up for you. Look around for various prices too. You could also get some parts online at http://www.newegg.com.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I always build my own as a rule. I couted up the reciepts of my current build and it's a third of the price of what a major epartment store woulld sell the same system.
Others ask me to build computers for them, I start them of with an upgrade kit that consists of the case, mobo, psu, and processor. This is cheaper than buying the parts individually. Alot of people don't want something really expensive, so I get them second hand monitors, saving alot of money. A friend works in a thrift store and a good 17" CRT costs me pocket change. My next build (my vista build) is about $2000, without the Core 2 Duo chip, and without a DX10 GPU. It's the type of system a major store would not be able to sell price wise. (big $$$ for them)
Even if I paid the guy down the road to build and install everything. It's far cheaper than buying a pre-built system. I bought the X530 speakers for $95. Kmart and Harvey Norman sell them for $150. After discounts, as a regular customer, I save coutless $$$.
Dell, HP etc. Have alot of systems that are hard to upgrade. I stay away from them.

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
BestBuy or CircuitCity if you live in USA.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I wouldnt buy from either by reputation alone.

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
www.ditcorp.com

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
my friend just built his computer...in fact, we're sitting in front of it watching the pretty updates get installed :/

For the price he paid (newegg.com) for the parts, any he would get at the premade wouldn't come close (~700 USD)

======

Like WarriorScot, i wouldn't buy from CircuitCity or CompUSA. Most sell mainly HP/Compaq, and i just have nothing but problems with them.

If you're looking for a new desktop, you should really try to build it yourself; it really isn't that hard, and we have a great hardware staff here that can help you if you get stuck.

If you're getting a laptop, I prefer dell. They seem to work well for me, my old town (95% dell) and my college (also 95%+ dell)

-Ryan