Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Low Space On XP 'C Drive' For No Reason?

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How about plan C:

Install Windows (don't register--don't activate) on the current C: drive and use it to move your data from the D: drive to the Huge External Drive.

Remove the C: drive and throw it in the garbage (8GB drives haven't been used in a while and it may be going bad)

Reconfigure the D: drive as a Master and install Windows on that.

Advertisements

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Okay, I have to go pick up some glasses, but I'll try that when I get back. Thanks man.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let me know when you're ready...there are a few things we'll need to do the the D: drive to set it up as a Master. :whistling:

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Cool, I'm in my shiny new glasses, and I'm all set. However, this disc is only a boot disc. It only works from boot. It's a CD-R that my friend said he was able to make with windows. Sorry I forgot to mention that. But I'm here and ready to roll.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What kind of boot disk?

When you used it earlier, what was the first screen you saw? It's kinda important I know what we're working with before we get started. :whistling:

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Well - When I click it when it's in the drive, the attached is what I see. But unfortuneately when I click install, it does nothing. I'm not sure what's going on, but I know that if you go into BIOS in Setup when the computer starts, you can install it. It did it fine on the other computer, but not on this one.

Attached Thumbnails

• bootdisc.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have the product key for your installed version? We may need to pull it out of the registry if you don't.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
No not on me, but isn't it the same number when you click "view system information" in My Computer? If that's easier? I'm not sure.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download, unzip, and run Magic Jelly Bean. This is a very small application (will fit on a floppy) and will pull the product key from the registry for you. The number you refer to is the registration number and won't work for this.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Okay I got it :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Write it down and keep it with your computer stuff.

Can you move all the data from the D: drive to the external using the current installation or is it too stuffed to use for that?

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
It would take hours. It's usb but it's not a USB 2.0 port --- I'd be moving almost 30 gigs (I know I have a lot of crap, but most of is either programs or music that I'm not sure I could get back.). Basically yes - but it'd take forever. What do you think I should do?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have data on the C: drive that you need or can we wipe that drive?

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
There's absolutely nothing on that drive that I need or want. Everything that I did have on there has been transfered to one of my storage drives. (And the rest of the space is corrupt.)

Edited by hysteria, 23 August 2006 - 06:46 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Very well... :whistling:

You are my eyes and ears while we do this. I know how it Should go, but I need your input to make sure things go right.

Restart the machine with the Windows CD in the drive. When you see "Press any key to boot from cd" at the top of the screen, press the space bar.

You should have to do nothing until you get to the blue "Welcome to Setup" screen. On this screen, press "Enter".
WTS.gif

Edited by wannabe1, 23 August 2006 - 06:57 PM.