Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'CRUSTY OLD BLOKE!' CAN U PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply

janeI

janeI

• Pip
  • 3 posts
CRUSTY OLD BLOKE, CAN YOU PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP??!! YOU HELPED ME A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO WHEN MY COMPUTER HAD ADWARE VIRUS WHICH MY SON HAD GOT FROM DOWLOADING MUSIC. I POSTED UNDER JANE.I THEN, BUT HAVE HAD TO CHANGE MY USERNAME AS I COULDNT GET ONTO THE SITE - SEEMS I WAS DELETED AS i HADNT POSTED FOR A WHILE.

I POSTED MY HTL ON THE 19TH AUGUST INTO THE MALWARE FORUM BUT DIDNT GET A REPLY, I GUESS EVERYONES BEEN REALLY BUSY... AT THE TIME OF 19TH I WAS UNABLE TO ACCESS ANYTHING ON THE COMPUTER EXCEPT THE INTERNET THROUGH FIREFOX (IE WOULDNT WORK EITHER).

BUT NOW EVEN GREATER DISASTER HAS STRUCK IN THAT MY COMPUTER STOPS AT THE FOLLOWING SCREEN AND WONT START UP AT ALL.

THE MESSAGE I GET IS:

SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\NTFS.SYS IS MISSING OR CORRUPT.

IF THIS MEANS i WILL HAVE TO USE THE ORIGINAL DISCS I CANT AS MY COMPUTER CAME WITH EVERYTHING PREINSTALLED - NO DISCS!

I HAVE TRIED GOING INTO SAFE MODE BUT THE SAME MESSAGE COMES UP! I DONT KNOW HOW TO GET ANOTHER HTL TO SHOW YOU.

PLEASE HELP! JANE.

PS: I AM CONTACTING YOU THROUGH A FRIENDS COMPUTER TODAY

Advertisements

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello Jane

I was alerted by an administrator to your plight. The 19th August was my birthday and I was elsewhere. I have looked at the HJT log you posted at the time and I can't see anything wrong with it. I have seen this problem before some years ago.

excerpt from http://support.micro....b;en-us;822800

"Missing or Corrupt Ntfs.sys" Error Message When You Restart Windows XP After You Convert Your Hard Disk to the NTFS File System

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, you must replace the missing or corrupted Ntfs.sys file. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Start your computer with the Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive.

2. You are prompted with the following option:

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R
When you are prompted with this option, press R to select it.

3. At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after each command):
cd \windows\system32\drivers
ren ntfs.sys ntfs.old

Note This step renames the corrupted Ntfs.sys file to Ntfs.old. If the Ntfs.sys file is not found, then the file was missing.

4. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers

Where cd is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD, and drive is the drive that you installed Windows XP to.

5. Remove the Windows XP CD from your CD-ROM drive, type quit, and then press ENTER to quit the Recovery Console.

6. Restart Windows XP

I believe that the last time I saw this error it was due to a RAM stick breaking down, so you may have to consider that too.

Good luck!

I am going to ask a moderator move this thread into the Operating System forum so that you can get the advice of someone more expert than myself in this field.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The quoted text in post 2 is the usual procedure

This is a working link to the knowledge base article

http://support.micro...kb/822800/en-us

You can use a borrowed XP CD for this, it needs to be the same version as you have installed

An outside chance would be this

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

jane i

jane i

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks to both of you, Crusty and Keith...

I will follow your instructions when I get home today. Unfortunately I do not have a system disc to follow your advice Crusty, as my pc came pre-installed with not discs at all...! I will try the mode Keith has advised.

Thank you for your quick reply. I Will let you know how I get on

Jane

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Remember you can also borrow a same version XP CD as you only need it to copy files