Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shut Down Problems

• Please log in to reply

vika09

vika09

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
My title says everything.

Everytime i shutdowm my laptop i will have to end task setpoint.exe, msnmgs.exe, run.dll (something like that) and ccApp.exe

I dont mind closing setpoint and messenger, but the rest i dunno where they come from! it is ok on a normal day, but if i am in a rush, the shutdown isnt useful, plus i dont want to keep the laptop on the whole day!

any suggestions? or should this go into malware, cos i really cant be doin all that stuff, to get one report! please help

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Hi vika,

Do these programs start up when you turn your machine on?

vika09

vika09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
well setpoint is the only one that starts up automatically, the rest i am guessing is windows stuff

THANX for helping! and quick response!

Edited by vika09, 31 August 2006 - 09:51 AM.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Could you post a list of what programs run on startup?

Thankyou.

vika09

vika09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
will a screenie of my taskmanager help?

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Yes, please. Also a screenshot of your msconfig startup list. Start>run>-type- ''msconfig''>hit the startup tab and make a screenshot.

Please ATTACH the screenshots.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
msnmgr.exe may be a virus/worm and ccapp.exe is part of Norton. I would run an online scan or disable norton and install a second AV to scan the computer with. Ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy wouldn't hurt either.

Edited by silverbeard, 31 August 2006 - 09:59 AM.

vika09

vika09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
there we go...

Attached Thumbnails

• msconfigscreen.jpg
  • taskmanger1.jpg

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Thanks for those attachments. You have quite a bit of running tasks in taskmanager. 75 is a bit above average but it's an Acer machine and they have a lot of their own processes.

From what I could see in your startup list, you also have a lot of startup items. Please run through THIS list of startup items. It tells you what you can disable and what not.

It will take a while but it could fix your problem.

Cheers.

Edited by emery, 31 August 2006 - 10:08 AM.

vika09

vika09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
OK, its like 11.15 at night here, so i will be going to sleep, i ll c u guys tomorrow THANX!

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
You're welcome. I hope we can get this problem fixed tomorrow then.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Did you miss the part about VIRUS/WORM? Prehaps I shouldn't hedge my words.

msnmgr.exe
Msnmgr.exe is AGOBOT.HA WORM.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Everytime i shutdowm my laptop i will have to end task setpoint.exe, msnmgs.exe, run.dll (something like that) and ccApp.exe

''Something like that''. I was assuming that task was spelled incorrectly. That's why I ignored it. Let's go over that worm thing tomorrow then. Sorry about that, Silverbeard.

Vika, could you please let us know if it is msnmsgs.exe or msnmgr.exe that you have running on your machine?

Thanks.

vika09

vika09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
its msnmsgr.exe

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Ok, that means we're safe on that one.

Thanks for those attachments. You have quite a bit of running tasks in taskmanager. 75 is a bit above average but it's an Acer machine and they have a lot of their own processes.

From what I could see in your startup list, you also have a lot of startup items. Please run through THIS list of startup items. It tells you what you can disable and what not.

It will take a while but it could fix your problem.

Cheers.