Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window Xp Startup Issue

• Please log in to reply

davidkimdd

davidkimdd

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I press the "power" button, computer starts fine, says the welcome message and when it goes to the desktop
Every tray icon except MSN comes out and every icon from the desktop when clicked wouldn't respond...quick icons wouldn't work also.

I can click on "start" but after that can't open any programs....

I leave my computer on for a while like..20 minutes...and everything starts to load.....

could anyone help with this issue?

thx david

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
You can try safe mode with network. Start /Run /open= msconfig. click on the Boot.ini tab, select safe boot then network next to it. Click OK and restart. Once the PC is up again go into your account (not administrator) and see if you can function more quickly. This will tell you that something is starting with the PC that is causing an issue and you will have to find the offending program or service and fix it. Biggest offenders, corrupted IM's, corrupted Anti virus/security suites, Virus/Trojans.

davidkimdd

davidkimdd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
i have tried the safe mode, and yes it worked faster....
but i wouldn't no how to find the "thing" that is bothering the window startup..
could you help me?