Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

very noisy fan

• Please log in to reply

Bartender

Bartender

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
zurzu -
Have you identified the case yet? Can you tell us what it is?
Another thought - where do you have the PC located? Is it stuffed into a little cubbyhole in a desk, where the hot air from the back of the PC is getting breathed back in again?
You might want to try setting it up where it's free to breathe. No obstacles in front or back. Park it about a half foot off the ground - that way it gets cooler air from low in the room, but not the worst of the dust bunnies. Run it for a bit (not Oblivion please) and use Speedfan or Everest to record some temperatures. Then open up your case, set up your room fan, and run it some more. Check your temps again. This will help you get your arms around the problem, so to speak.
At this point I agree with troppo. If you're happy with your components (not outdated) then a new case (generally speaking more cost-effective when a PSU is included) might be a fun project for you and put these temp problems behind.

Advertisements

zurzu

zurzu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello again,

Here are some horrible pics of my case, i beleive it's a Avance. I can't find it on their webpage, probably because its an older model. about 2yrs.

The position of the pc allows air to circulate all around. Not crammed.

Opening the case definately reduces the temp by about 2-3 C°. So, the case is probably part of the problem.

Also, the stock heatsink/fan are very probably not suitable for the type of processor i have. I need something more efficient.
I should also look at changiny my chassi fan, which i suspect is not that great either.

I still don't understand why my fan is so lazy....its doing 2700 rpm at 60c° which is about 55-60%.

Thanks

zurzu

Attached Thumbnails

• Image003.jpg
  • Image004.jpg

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well im sorry to say but thast a horriable case for cooling,

have a look at newegg.com for cases make sure its a full tower ATX thast would be your best option.

give us a few links and we will help you pick some out

but also just a word of warning maybe dont buy a new heasink and fan assembaly until you change cases you never no you might not need one and there will be different dimensions of the new case.

so get a new case first install all of your new components and see how the temps are going, and then if they arent good look at getting a new heatsink and fan,

if you need any help with installing components into your new case when teh time comes just ask :whistling:

troppo

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Taking the heatsink of the CPu is easy and its not easy. If yours is the 478 type clip there are 2 grey arms on the top of the fan assembly. Flip these over so it is loose, then take a skinny flat screwdriver and use it to pull each leg out far enough to pull the leg up over the bottom piece.Once the legs are pulled up,lift the whole fan unit off. The heatsink will probably come with the fan unit, but it may not. You can separate the fan unit from the holddown unit easily. You should be able to lift the heatsink off the cpu now, also. Aftermarket heatsinks dont use the intel holddowns so each should have instructions on how to install.

Intel 775 heatsinks are even easier to work with. Four plastic screws to turn and pull the HS off.

SRX660

does it do any damage to the cpu, as when i took mine out the cpu was stuck to the heatsink and all of the thermal paste had glued them both together??
does it do any damage as the tiny silver lever for the CPU LOCK is down??

thanks

ry

Bartender

Bartender

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Familiaraize yourself with how the heatsink comes off, then run the pC for about 20 minutes to heat up the thermal pad or paste. This makes it easier to remove. It's better to just remoe the heatsink, clean off the top of the CPU with some 99% alcohol and lint-free cloth, then apply thin layer of paste and reassemble. If you have to pop the CPU out you might get goofy warnings next time you start up about "New CPU. Load BIOS settings" blahblah...
If the CPU must come out then carefully lift that locking lever. Make sure you know how to orient the CPU when put back together. There's a corner that's clearly different from the rest. Use that as your landmark. Don't force anything!

zurzu

zurzu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

well im sorry to say but thast a horriable case for cooling,

have a look at newegg.com for cases make sure its a full tower ATX thast would be your best option.

give us a few links and we will help you pick some out

but also just a word of warning maybe dont buy a new heasink and fan assembaly until you change cases you never no you might not need one and there will be different dimensions of the new case.

so get a new case first install all of your new components and see how the temps are going, and then if they arent good look at getting a new heatsink and fan,

if you need any help with installing components into your new case when teh time comes just ask :whistling:

troppo

yeah, i'm beginning to realise that. Anyway, have to fork-out some $$$ for all this.
You'd think that the "pros." who sell this stuff should tell you when your cpu/heatsink/case might be a problem. Anyway, it's good to learn this stuff oneself.

thanks again,

zurzu

Edited by zurzu, 14 September 2006 - 10:54 AM.

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Familiaraize yourself with how the heatsink comes off, then run the pC for about 20 minutes to heat up the thermal pad or paste. This makes it easier to remove. It's better to just remoe the heatsink, clean off the top of the CPU with some 99% alcohol and lint-free cloth, then apply thin layer of paste and reassemble. If you have to pop the CPU out you might get goofy warnings next time you start up about "New CPU. Load BIOS settings" blahblah...
If the CPU must come out then carefully lift that locking lever. Make sure you know how to orient the CPU when put back together. There's a corner that's clearly different from the rest. Use that as your landmark. Don't force anything!

my stock intel thermal paste acted as a glue that held the cpu and heatsink together, when i carefully lifted the heatsink the CPU came with it

did this cause any damage since the LOCK LEVER was in the 'locked' position?

ry

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Ryan 88: please start your own topic

this is for zuzu's cooling problem if you start your own topic you will be able to get the help you need

multiple topics in one thread is just to confussing and annoying start your own topic this is for zuz's problems

thank you

troppo