Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

64 bit. So?

• Please log in to reply

mickmay

mickmay

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Now everyone's talkin' about 64-bit precessor. It seems like a revolution in the processor industry. My question is: what's so exciting and attractive about 64 bit? Can it really bring something like a revolution? Currently I'm using the AMD Sempron 3000+ (940 pin) processor. But problem is I'm not feelin' any revolutionary change in the speed of program action. Can anyone share his or her opinion on 64-bit processor? :whistling:

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well to keep it simple

a intel pentium 4 CPU has 32 pins
an AMD X2 has 64 pins

pretty much the AMD can procces twice the amount of caculations than the intel (pentium 4 core 2 duo is different)

thast pretty much it its means that you can have slower clock speeds with a better performace

troppo

mickmay

mickmay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
To troppo:

Thx!
Would you please make it clearer and more elaborate? Thank you! :whistling:

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
You can read up on 64 bit vs 32 bit processing here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
What os are you running? If windows is it the windows xp 64 bit? if not that will obviously limit the effects you would see.... also if you really want to see a difference try another machine with the same clock speed as your sempron that is 32 bit and you would see maybe be able to see the difference.... Off course running some intensive stuff that takes advantage of the 64 bits would certainly help....

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well im not a CPU designer so i dont no everything about it but as i said basically it can procces twice the amount of mathmatic algorithms than a 32 bit CPU

it can handle larger amounts of data size ( greater size less caculations and faster speed [i think])

basically a 63-bit CPU can handle twice as many caculations per clock cycle than a 32-bit

so in reality a 2.0Ghz 32-bit dual core P4 is twice as slow as a
2.0Ghz 64-bit dual core P4

there would be heaps of info on the net use google its your friend :whistling:

troppo