Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Install Went Wrong! Need Some Serious Help Please

• Please log in to reply

hardeez1

hardeez1

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
what's up. i've got a serious problem. k i was trying to reformat this computer w/ a windows xp cd i have but whenever i tried to delete the partition in the windows setup thing so that i could do a fresh install, it would say that it couldnt because there were temp. installation files on there. so i tried resizing that partition w/ partition magic but it said there were too many errors and it would just abort. so i just said screw it & deleted the partition w/ partition magic & made a new primary one (w/nothing on it) with most of the free space then another 25 gig one that is unallocated. now i'm trying to boot from the xp cd to reinstall it, but when it gives me the choice to push enter to setup or f3 to quit... whenever i push any key it doesn't do anything.. i sit there and push enter and it just sits on that screen. i have all the stuff off the computer backed up on an external hard drive so that's not an issue.. i just need to know how to install windows xp back on it. any advice on how would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks/!!

[color=#FF0000]update: ok i think i got it to work.. it was weird i plugged in my external usb hard drive & booted from the same cd.. it loaded all the files & stuff & when i pressed enter it actually worked.. i wonder what's goin on?

Edited by hardeez1, 23 September 2006 - 12:55 AM.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
It sounds like there might be a flaw in the installation media. I've had this happen with slipsteamed disks I've made. If you can borrow another disk. See if that works for you.

Shailendra Patel

Shailendra Patel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well Never Use These 3rd Party Softwares Windows Has A Inbuilt Partition Manager
Press Windows Logo Key on Keyboard +R And Write
compmgmt.msc
in the box
U have get access to xp free partition manager but it is limited
Now to get ur computer work copy all your main documents to working drive
now insert windows cd then go until you are prompt for selecting the drive for installation now delete all the partitions exept for in which u have ur main documents and after deleting again create a new partition and install the windows
It Will Work 100% Guarantee.

P.S.-It Once Happened With Me Too I Did The Same Thing

Edited by Shailendra Patel, 20 March 2010 - 10:09 PM.