Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two Internet Connections But One Computer

• Please log in to reply

dr.huynh

dr.huynh

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi there. Thank you for reading this forum post. My dilemma involves one computer, built by myself, and two internet connections, DSL and cable. I live in an area where I have access to both DSL (provided by the good folks over at AT&T, formerly SBC) and cable internet (the monopolistic Comcast). I use Comcast cable internet primarily for my gaming and web design while I utilize AT&T Yahoo DSL for anything other than gaming and web design.

Now, for the past half year, I've had my Sony Vaio PCV-L630 connected to the AT&T Yahoo DSL. I built a separate system using an AMD Athlon 2700+ processor, 512MB DDR266 SDRAM, 250GB HDD, 64MB nVidia AGP video, all wrapped in a flimsy Powmax case. The Comcast cable internet is connected to the Powmax system.

Here's what I want to do.
I need to sell my Sony Vaio PCV-L630 because (1) it is a decent system, but it's not fast enough [Intel Pentium III 600MHz, 256MB PC-100 SDRAM, 17GB HDD, 8MB ATI Rage video], and (2) I need the extra cash.

Please note: I am not advertising my computer system on this forum.

* I want to keep my Powmax system.

* I want to install two NIC cards in to the Powmax system

* I want to connect the DSL into one NIC card and I want to connect the cable internet to the other NIC card.

* I want to keep Windows XP Professional on my computer. No Linux or non-Windows OS.
[I'm trying to keep it simple]

* I want to be able to run one browser (i.e. Internet Explorer) to utilize the DSL connection and run a different browser (i.e. Mozilla Firefox) to utilize the cable internet connection.

I know, I know. So many wants. But can this be done?

If anyone knows how, please instruct me as this will be the greatest thing ever since Apple introduced Boot Camp. ;-)

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Only an Idea - I have not tried this
What if you have 2 user accounts ?
Cheers
Peterm

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

* I want to be able to run one browser (i.e. Internet Explorer) to utilize the DSL connection and run a different browser (i.e. Mozilla Firefox) to utilize the cable internet connection.

I know, I know. So many wants. But can this be done?

No. Windows by its design will only use the first internet connection it can lay its hands on, which will probably be the DSL one. Therefore if Windows is providing for programs to use one connection, everything else will use that connection and totally ignore the other one.