Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD in drive not being recognized

• Please log in to reply

Nekul

Nekul

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Todger,

These entries some times mess up the Optical drives. You could just try to Delete both upper and lower filter.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet (or the current control set with lowest number if that is all that is listed)
Control
Class

Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318.

Select UpperFilter in the right window and press the Delete key.

Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes.

Select LowerFilters in the right window and press the Delete key.

I have seen issues being resolved in this manner.

Nekul.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go back to the key, right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, and choose export. Save a copy of this key to your desktop.

Then right click on UpperFilters and choose "Delete". Accept the deletion and close Registry Editor. Reboot.

Does the drive work now?

Todger

Todger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi Todger,

These entries some times mess up the Optical drives. You could just try to Delete both upper and lower filter.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet (or the current control set with lowest number if that is all that is listed)
Control
Class

Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318.

Select UpperFilter in the right window and press the Delete key.

Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes.

Select LowerFilters in the right window and press the Delete key.

I have seen issues being resolved in this manner.

Nekul.

No luck I'm afraid but thanks

Todger

Todger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Go back to the key, right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, and choose export. Save a copy of this key to your desktop.

Then right click on UpperFilters and choose "Delete". Accept the deletion and close Registry Editor. Reboot.

Does the drive work now?

Hi Wannabee 1
Tried that after the previous post (without saving) - but no luck!

The drive (or both drives concerned) is a Toshiba SD-C2502 a Dvd/CD Rom drive used in a Sony Vaio
GR114EK Laptop (about 5yrs old). I have found that they will read DVDs but not CDs.
Immediately thought of laser wavelengths and such but disregarded as they both work in my own laptop
Sony GRX315MP.
Also my own Dvd/CdRW works fine in my granddaughters laptop (Sony CRX810e)
???????????????????????????

Also a note to include Fleamailman:

I've done a full spring clean.
Cannot reboot using XPCd repair as it won't read the CD
Am about to try a re-install of Nero
Exact error message is:-

"Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted or it could be using a format
that is not compatible with windows."

Also I tried a google search on the Toshiba SD-C2502 and found a few other threads with a similar
fault but no solutions.

Guys (& Gals) - Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.
Regards
Todger

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks todger, I'm stumped, passing but still watching this, sorry.

Edited by fleamailman, 05 October 2006 - 07:56 AM.

S.A.M.

S.A.M.

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi,
I've got a strange problem on my granddaughter's Sony Vaio GR114 laptop.
It won't read CDs (haven't tried Dvds). After lots of whirring etc it comes up with an error message - something
like - "Cannot read this cd - not formatted or is formatted in a way that cannot be read by windows" - or something very much like that.
This happened once before and we solved it by replacing the cd drive (Toshiba C2502) and all was fine until now. Have tried unseating and reseating the drive. Have uninstalled it and let windows reinstall it.
Thought it may have been an unfinalized cd - but no - same problem with a regular genuine music cd.
Annoying part is that I took the drive home (50 mile round trip)and refitted it into my own laptop - works fine.
On the strength of this I tried her original cd drive (I throw nothing away) in my laptop - worked fine - POOH!
Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received. I don't have immediate access to her laptop due to distance, but it can be arranged.
Thanks
Todger

Well I must say that i have had a similar problem mid year. Myoptical drive wasnt being recognized by my computer. Well I tried a bunch of other downloads that might fix the problem, nothing. Then I thought back, its not being recognized by the computer...AHHAAAAA!!!!! There, I tried redownloading my operating systems Service Pack (SP2 in my case), reboot, and WHAMMO, there it was back and in working condition. You might wanna try this; Redownload your operating systems Service Pack found at

www.microsoft.com/downloads

The service Pack has alot to do with "telling hardware how to work with the computer", so maybe something along the way of a corrupted file might have been the problem. :whistling:

Edited by S.A.M., 14 October 2006 - 12:23 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
good idea thanks, one always think sp2 as sucurity, but I have learned something here

Todger

Todger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Guys
Thanks for all your replies.
I resolved the problem by getting a used Toshiba SD-C2502 Dvd drive on ebay - same as the other two
duff dvds that don't work - (this has a later manufactured date whereas the old two were the same - poss
a manufacturing fault (dream-on)). Also the original bezel fits this model which saved a lot of probs.
Should the problem re-occur then I'll reinstall SP2.
Thanks again folks
Todger