Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting/partitioning/ HD capacity issues

• Please log in to reply

kewleb

kewleb

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello there

My pc's hard disk is approximately 80 GB in capacity and is partitioned into two parts. These are "C" and "D."

My operating system (XP Pro) and program files etc are all stored on the "C" drive, which is 9.76 GB in capacity. The "D" drive is 66.5 GB in capacity and holds all my docs, such as photos, videos and other files.

I recently had to reinstall my operating system, which I did without any problems. When I did this, I assumed that the whole of the "C" drive would get erased in the process. Since reinstalling the OS I have been putting programs back onto my computer. I have not installed that many programs as of yet, but already, I am getting messages that my "C" drive has only 2% free space :whistling: It's almost as if the "C" drive was never erased properly when I did my XP reinstall and that data/files were left behind, or as if the "C" drive was not formatted properly. (both drives are in NTFS, by the way)

I obviously want to get the full capacity out of my "C" drive, as I need to add more programs. When i go to ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in Control Panel, there are 26 items in the program list. Surely these, along with the OS, would not take up the whole 9.76 GB? How much space would an OS install actually take up on its own?

I'm considering reinstalling the OS again, but how do I ensure that the "C" drive will be properly erased?

Or, is it the case that I need to make my "C" partition a bit larger? If so, can you explain how I would do this?

Any help you can offer is most appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It seems that c: partition was not entirely cleared. When you reinstall xp take the procedure of a new xp installation. When you reach the screen where you see the two partitions chose to delete c:. After that recreate c:, format (ntfs, not quock) and continue with the installation.

You can change the size of a partition with Partition Magic (Symantec). I wouldn't do this before solving the problem of a seemingly too small partition.