Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

firefox vs IE

• Please log in to reply

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Im lost between which to choose.. I was told IE is too vulnerable to hacks and stuffs, while Firefox is stable like h***.

Any suggestions or seconder on that? If so, is version 1.02 the latest for firefox?

Advertisements

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
If it's stable as the infernal regions, choose that.
They have been around since creation ( approx 6000 years ago :tazz: )
and I've never heard of sinners being sent back because the Pit was rebooting.

And I don't know anything about firefox. It sounds like just another
flavour-of-the-month browser, of which I've seen many come ( and go ).

Cheers!
Ojo

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
ic, but in my case, i was told 10/10 to go for firefox.. I've not tried them before but w00t, aint it popular =.=

Anyone knows if which has a better stability and offer more security?

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
"Ain't it popular", So is Britney Spears, She's the opposite of good though ;)
I don't know, if IE works for you, keep it. Don't fall prey to the common disease of fixing things that work. You will always find they work less well afterward.
If you want to try firefox, try firefox. Try it because you're curious, never try it because 'they' say so.
'They' have been telling me Linux is the best, so I followed 'their' advice and
tried it. 'I' have been messing with it for 14 days, never got it to run but got so frustrated I killed everyone at the postoffice. :mad:

And the ultimate security... Switch off your machine and degauss your harddisks (Use 2 Tesla).
No virus will run on it anymore and no hacker, no matter how clever, can get to your files. :tazz:

I hear a lot of positive things about firefox. I might even try it someday.
Ojo

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
lol yeah man... good humour there =)

"I hear a lot of positive things about firefox." <-- thats y i posted haha... i cant figure out myself, and i dont wanna mess this up by installing and then uninstalling again =/

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Well, I installed it, which seems to go rather smoothly.
One thing here, you need the custom installation if you don't want it to be plunked down in C:, But that's okay.
It runs, it seems to do what you expect from a basic browser.
More after I've fiddled around with it for a bit.

It's only a 4.8 Mb download. Looks like it's safe to try ;)

Enjoy!
Ojo

(Raaaah! I use VIm too much, and all fields clear when I instinctively use [ESC]:wq to save. Will have to check wether FireFox does that too)

No! It doesn't! Wheeee! :tazz:

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
yeah, let me know more about how it works compared to IE, and if u prefer IE over firefox or vice versa now... =)

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Well, it seems to handle stylesheets a little different. Looks like I'm going to have to change my 'menu' ;) ( If I'm going to say "Yah well, it's Mozilla", I'm sure to get something about Microsoft not adhering to standards, so I won't :tazz: )
I'm not a real endurance tester though, I mainly use browsers to read. No flashy animated sites for me. Javascripts seem to work okay.
Oh, BTW. don't be afraid, You can install it without it taking over the primary browser (IE).

I'll try to keep you updated. The verdict so far is:
Okay...

Ojo

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Oh and I simply love the tabs.

seamansster

seamansster

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hmm... I like firefox a lot, I went back to using windows 2k pro (from XP) and now it doesn't seem to work tho ): It installs fine, but when I launch it nothing happens. Anybody else have this problem?? Ideas?

Advertisements

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I got it working on Win2000 here, and it works fine.
Sorry seamansster. I haven't had that problem.
All I did was follow the link at the top of this (every) page, save it locally,
installed it custom version (because I don't want my C: disk to fill up
too quick) and it ran.

Inite: Most of the time I hardly notice a difference. But... this is only day one :tazz:

Ojo

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
oh... ok thx man... this sounds good... keep me updated... Im gonna try it now =D

seamansster

seamansster

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I got it working (: I just reinstalled it... dunno why it didn't work the first time. I've been using it for a few months now and it's a nice program... Not sure if it's better than IE or not. I don't notice a whole lot of difference.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
i dont like those icons which are htm related tho. The IE icon definately looks nicer =p

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
If you take security seriously - you should dump internet explorer.

If you take security seriously - you should dump Windows.

Don't take my word for it, check out the following urls:

Time to dump Internet Explorer - http://www.securityf.../columnists/249

The Honeypot Project - http://www.linuxsecu...view/117718/65/

Of course, dumping Windows is no small matter, but take a look at this forum and see how many things go wrong with Windows and the technical knowledge required to fix it.

It's the same for Linux of course, the point I'm making is that because we've grown used to Windows, know our way around it, acquired technical expertise the hard way - we kind of feel 'comfortable' with it - and Linux by comparision seems frightening - it's new after all - a whole new learning curve.

I say take the plunge, migrate gracefully - purchase a CD called Knoppix, this allows you to run Debian Linux from the CD drive - it won't touch your windows info.

You'll find out how compatible your hardware is.

Get a second hard drive and install Linux on there - so you still have Windows.

Security issues aside - the guy who mentions 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' - that's good advice, however Windows is broke!

Linux, a derivative of Unix has been around since the 1960's - it's rock solid, stable and secure.

Migrating won't be easy - but I felt the same way when I left my trusted old Apple Macintosh behind!

Kick start the revolution, one day, Linux will be just as 'easy' to install as Windows - which means it won't be any harder :tazz:

daveB - LinuxWannabee