Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my Motherboard Salvageable?

• Please log in to reply

theBoar

theBoar

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello,
I've been doing some research lately on rebuilding my Computer system. Earlier this year i bought a Compaq Presario sr1710nx. This is a great little computer in my opionion but I feel that its time for me to upgrade to a higher end computer. I wanted to build myself a whole new system, and after some research I think I have all my parts lined up and ready to buy, but before I do I wanted to consult with you guys about a couple of things.
I dont want to spend too much money on my new system if i dont have to. I was thinking about using some of the parts in my current Compaq computer to save my cash, the cash that I can put into a Video Card or Monitor. The part that I was specifically thinking about salvaging is my Motherboard. The Motherboard that I have in my computer is a 'ASUS A8AE-LE'. I've looked into it and it turn out that this motherboard isn't available on the market and was make just for my PC. I figured that this would be an ideal Motherboard to keep because it has to potential to upgrade the CPU to a Dual Core (which is what i'm looking for), and I can add a pretty quality Video Card to it. However, Im not an expert at these things so I was wondering is someone could tell me if this is a half decent Motherboard for me to use in my new system, or should i spring a couple extra bucks and get a new one. And aslo, can someone recommend me a good Video Card (preferably an All in One, I was looking at the ATI All-in-Wonder X1900...any good?)(I'm not a huge gamer but I'd like to build a system that would be capable for gaming. I would like to make this an entertainment system). THANKS GUYS!

Here is the link to my Motherboard specs:
http://h10025.www1.h...=c00496280#N849

c00605782.jpg

Edited by theBoar, 30 October 2006 - 09:16 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If this was my computer i would use the Mb as the basis for a system. The problem that i have here is the cost to make this equal to a Intel Core2 Duo system is going to be the same price as the intel system. A AMD X2 proc is in the $200-300 range, the ATI card that would be good for gaming is around $200-250( the XT model, and NOT the GT model). I would spring for as much memory as affordable ( maybe 2 gigs) so that boosts the cost up another $200.

Now the ringer is that you are in the range of buying all the same things with a Core2 Duo system which from what i have seen will blow away any AMD system you can build and not be obsolete in a few more months.

So my vote would be to wait out this year and then sell the system you have and get the best Core2 Duo system you can afford. Because i am a cheapskate i would just run your system as is until after christmas and then plan on getting a intel core2 duo system then because the manufacturers will be hungry for some sales at that time so deals can be made.

SRX660

theBoar

theBoar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
So what you're suggesting is for me to wait for the new year, then I can pick up an Intel Motherboard and a Core 2 processor for around the same price as i would spend on a AMD X2 processor, if i were to get it now (and use my current motherboard). Did i understand you correctly? And why is the Intel that much better??

also, I already have 1.5Gb's or Ram...i think that should be fine.

theBoar

theBoar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
...I just had a thought. If i wait a few month for the Processor prices to go down, wouldn't I be able to get an even better X2 prosessor than the one i would have gotten now, and this way i can save some money buy keeping my Motherboard. Or would you still recommend me get the Core 2 Duo instead. Keep in mind I'm tring to pinch every penny.