Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Online Shift

• Please log in to reply

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Software makers want to be sure they can get paid, so to use their software, you need to be online to communicate with them (no valid license, no service) but there are advantages, like glitches that are fixed automatically and enhancements and updates are applied as soon as they are available. People won't make back ups, so companies are selling webspace to host files, GMail is popular becuae you don't have to bog down your inbox, and you never have to throw anything away, dotnetnuke is really neat, don't wanna live w/o Shoutcast's Audiocandy, my favorite internet radio streaming, website shopping carts and forums all must be administered online, and now MS Windows Live One Care...which does everything but walk the dog...The future of the Internet is online, and a dial up connection isn't going to cut it any longer. The days of working offline and selectively connecting are over, because too many things require a live connection to function- way past email, IMs and surfing. I can't administer some of my sites without being online and logging into another website to do it.

To take advantage of Ms Dewey, you need broadband. http://www.msdewey.com/

and YouTube, and WoW and so forth, same thing... In ten years will we even need these huge hard drives? (Well, I won't be giving mine up after I painstakingly ripped my zillion music cds...lol) but I'm seeing a subtle shift in the way we conduct our business, and I wonder about privacy, more targeted advertising, a newbie's helplessness when the remote server they were depending on fails, people seeing even less of reason to backup (Why bother when your pics are on Photobucket?) and if people will become more careless with security, since they are depending on their online software to protect them?

Do you see an online shift, too? Pros and cons?

Johanna

Advertisements

boomercj

boomercj

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Backing up and storing online is great, BUT people need to realize that they sould have a backup of their own in their possession. Yes, it takes up space, yes, it's a lot of work; if you call mouse clicking work. (It amazes me that some people equate a few mouse clicks with walking 5 miles.) Folks don't want to take on their own responsilbilities. If I have images, files, projects that I can't afford to lose, I will make sure that I have control of them. Sure I use imageshack, but I also have my images backed up on disk in case there's a nasty tornado and someone mistakes imageshack for a witch and drops on house in it. We cannot become dependent on the internet to manage our lives. We are the humans here, we should be the ones managing the internet. I keep thinking back to the movie "Colossus: Forbin Project" not so much because of possible global annihilation depicted in the movie, but how the main character's life was controlled by the computer. Is this where we're headed?