Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What to do! Where to start!

• Please log in to reply

chedge

chedge

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
:whistling: :blink: I am starting a new business (nothing to do with computers) where I will be able to work from home. To help myself out I would like to learn code for web pages. This way I can have a backup if my new business is a little slow getting off the ground. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I would get the most mileage out of? Also I have been mainly on the hardware / networking side of computers, so I would need code that a newbe can learn. I do not have alot lot of knowledge on web pages or web page design. Any suggestions on where to start learning and in what? I want to go somewhere new.
Thanks
chedge

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Personally, I like the O'Reily books. All you really need to know to effectively design webpages is HTML, although php and other languages can be helpful as well.

I prefer to write straight HTML in a program called Textpad (google for it). There are other applications which will design a webpage for you without you needing to know anything at all about the code behind it, but you can run into trouble down the line if problems develop.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
HTML is about it unless you want a dynamic site then you would need something like PHP or ASP. The easiest way to make a website basically is just make a nice template in photoshop. Then put it into Dreamweaver, and put the tables and stuff in it and there you go.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would read up a little on PHP and HTML enough to know the basics and get yourself open source web templates if you need a site, but as a business developing websites is a market thats a little over saturated these days and almost everyother teenager can make webpages.

chedge

chedge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the info. I used HTML at work in Data Control so that will help. It does seem like everyone and their brother are doing web pages these days. I happen to have a friend who needs extra help once in a while in writing code. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question.