Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Dual Boot

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have XP SP2 on one hard drive, Vista on a second, how do you get those to dual boot?

Thanks

Advertisements

DSMaster

DSMaster

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a shot.. (please note that this was my XP setup, but I've never attempted duel booting)

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

^Default

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="VISTA"

Edited by DSMaster, 15 November 2006 - 01:58 PM.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Just thinking this through....

If I just boot to XP and get the boot line, then boot just to Vista and grab its boot line, and combine them, it should work!

I will try.

DSMaster

DSMaster

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Vista doesn't have one, that's the first thing I looked for.

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
This is what I did to get my dual boot working with XP. After you install Vista you'll want to install VistaBootPro. Follow the screens here to set up your XP (its really easy)
http://www.vistaboot.../screenshot.php After you do that I copied the NTDETECT and NTLDR (usually found in C:\Windows\System32) from XP and placed in the Vista C:\ directory. Reboot and you should have your dual boot screen. Remember after you install Vista that it then becomes C:\ drive and XP will become whatever letter your PC assigns it depending on the number of partitians you have set up! Good Luck.

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a shot.. (please note that this was my XP setup, but I've never attempted duel booting)

[boot loader]
timeout=20
[operating systems]

^Default

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="VISTA"

This will not work because after you install Vista its bootmanager takes over the XP boot.ini - Also after you uninstall Vista you will have to rebuild your boot screen for XP in order to log into XP.