Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

College Major?

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont envy you Phil i almost did informatics(what we call the programming section of computer science) in my first year and im glad i didnt everyone i know who did it went off the deep end. If you do a real degree like science or engineering then its impossible to go through uni without learning to program right now im on the joys of fortran for engineering applications its very fun(Not). What i wouldnt give to do a bit of networking for a change that doesnt involve pipes, pumps or a distillation column.

Advertisements

handhfan

handhfan

Trusted Helper

• Expert
  • 13,659 posts
Because I am a senior in high school, about to close out my year, I've been searching through colleges as well. I love computers, but I lacked the enthusiasm over the types of majors that were out there. I work a lot with technology, doing performance-work with multimedia, sound and lighting. Pretty much anything that needs to be done during the performance behind the scenes. Well, I recently got into the New England Institute of Art in Boston to study sound. Sound has a lot of avenues, including computers. In fact, computers are an essential part of sound, and can be used in several ways. I know this may not be what you are looking for, but it definitely is another avenue that is possible to take. Believe me, I always thought I would be doing computer things, and I still will with my malware removal, but I want something different, too, and something that I have enjoyed doing as well recently. So, I guess what I am trying to say is that, do whatever you feel compelled to do, and your span of choices will be never-ending. :whistling:

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
handhfan,

Congratulations on your college acceptance! You made a good point - computers are everywhere and used in many different ways, so there may be other avenues than programming or graphic design or computer science, etc., for college majors.