Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER W/ VISTA help fast!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kotak77

kotak77

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
I get this problem with windows media center thats inside vista...can u guys help me? it says "A necessary component of Windows Media Center is currently not available. Please Restart Windows Media Center" when ever i start it a go into the music section..idk wats wrong..pleas help me?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I have found the media centre to be very very buggy in Vista, their is allot of visual errors and file incompatibility, when they detected they often end with the "this error will be corrected in the final release" message.

From what ive discovered there is very little you can do with fixing it the nature of the beta release means MS wont fix alot of bugs especially now it is gone gold.

Media player isn't buggy at all so you should use this, if it doesnt work you have a deeper problem and wouldn't recommend using vista if after a reinstall it continues not to work.

I'm afraid there is so little you can do to fix things with Vista its not a finished piece of work and has allot of bugs and media centre was pretty bad before vista for bugs.

kotak77

kotak77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
well it was working fine b4.....this is recent and idk y but i had also formated my whole HD for vista..and its working fine except for...the vista drivers that i dont have and this WMC problem

Edited by kotak77, 22 November 2006 - 03:01 PM.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
OK, well it obviously seems like your running the beta version. If you have RC2 you should have 'LESS' problems than other betas, but the final release seems OK. I don't have any problems with it anymore (but I very rarely use it so....)!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Unless you are a manufacturer you cant get the RTM keys so you shouldnt have it.

kotak77

kotak77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
um well my uncle got the final version since he works with this big company and he gave me the final version..so yea i am running it..and idk wat the problem is since it should be working fine...AND i never ran any of the beta versions..i only ran rc1 and then a week after rc2 then another week after vista went gold and then a couple days later my uncle gave me vista rtm with a working key...

Edited by kotak77, 24 November 2006 - 05:49 PM.

kotak77

kotak77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
so any1 have anything?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Did you do a clean install or an upgrade? A clean install may take care of some nagging issues. Also, although RTM shipped with more drivers than the beta's many manufacturers still have many drivers to update. An additional 5,000 or so drivers will be added by the time Vista hits the shelves.

I use Media Center sparingly using the RTM release, and while it looks like there is still some work to be done, I haven't had any real issues.

kotak77

kotak77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
well microsoft's site said that Media Center 2005 wont cooperate with alot of Div X players..so i uninstalled all div x programs..how do i uninstall div x drivers and stuff? but even tho i uninstalled the programs it still shows that error "A necessary component of Windows Media Center is not available. Please restart Windows Media Center"

kotak77

kotak77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
and yea i did do a clean install and is there anyway of reinstalling media center in vista or like replacing the files so it can work or something? cuz i rele want media center and i dont want to do a clean install again of vista

Edited by kotak77, 28 November 2006 - 02:27 PM.

Advertisements

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
OK, well I have used WMC in Vista and it is working perfectly, install FFDSHOW and then try it, that may work (adds codecs).

Edited by CJIS, 28 November 2006 - 03:05 PM.

kotak77

kotak77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
nope..anything else? i think its a file thats missing and not a codec

Edited by kotak77, 28 November 2006 - 04:03 PM.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Mine was doing that when I had no codec installed, although it sounds possible that it might be a file missing, it also sounds like your going to have to re-install Windows Vista. I can compress my MCE folder and send it to you, but this could cause problems as I am using a newer version of Vista than you!

Give me a list of every file and folder in the MCE folder and let me know and I'll compare it to mine and see what you might be missing!

C:\WINDOWS\ehome

Edited by CJIS, 29 November 2006 - 03:16 AM.

kotak77

kotak77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
ok wen i get back from school ill post every file

kotak77

kotak77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
EDIT: *see next post*

Edited by kotak77, 29 November 2006 - 08:28 PM.