Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Rom won't start

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The arrow keys move the selector

"Enter" makes a selection either to select a catagory or to select an item within a catagory

+ or - keys make changes to the selected item

Advertisements

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
ok, it was the backspace key, huh go figure, it now reads: CDROM, LAN, FDD, HDD

is that ok or do i have to come back here and change this after i am done?

so now i save the changes, put the install cd in the drive and reboot?

thanks.

susan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We need the priority to be CDROM/HDD/FDD/LAN

It won't start back up with LAN as number two in priority.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
i've been using the BkSp and Space key to make changes. i only get two options when CDROM is first:

CDROm/LAN/FDD/HDD

and

CDROM/LAN/HDD/FDD

do i type it in? i don't know what to do or more acurately i don't know how to do it!

thanks for your patience.

susan

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

i've been using the BkSp and Space key to make changes. i only get two options when CDROM is first:

CDROm/LAN/FDD/HDD

and

CDROM/LAN/HDD/FDD

do i type it in? i don't know what to do or more acurately i don't know how to do it!

thanks for your patience.

susan

in the event i have to type something, how do i make those arrows happen, there are no arrow keys on the board.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't like the LAN in second position...that can lead to no reboot during the repair install.

I'm looking through the user manual, but haven't found the section (if there is one) that describes the bios settings. There has to be a way to change that, though. The HDD must be in second position.

In looking back, there may be a couple of things we can try to get the machine running without the repair install. If we can't get that bios setting right, we'll back up and try those.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
whew, i thought you left me...i've been playing around with the Boot Prioity while waiting for a response, i changed the Network Boot Protocol from PXE to RPL and then tried again to changed the Prioity and there are still only two options CDROM/LAN and FDD/HDD or HDD/FDD, i cannot get HDD into second position.

will wait while you read.

thanks so much.

susan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Exit the BIOS without saving the changes. Power the machine OFF.

Try this option first:

Power the machine on and tap the F8 key as it starts. If you get to an Options screen, select the option to start using the "Last known good configuration" and press "Enter".

Does the machine boot to Windows after doing this?

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Exit the BIOS without saving the changes. Power the machine OFF.

Try this option first:

Power the machine on and tap the F8 key as it starts. If you get to an Options screen, select the option to start using the "Last known good configuration" and press "Enter".

Does the machine boot to Windows after doing this?

i'll try that just for you. but i already had my daughter try that over the phone, dont know much, but i do know the F8 key and it didn't work for her.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...then with the cd in the drive, power the machine on...Immediately press and hold the C key down and it should boot to the cd.

Try the repair install... :whistling:

Advertisements

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
wow, spoke too soon. i can get F8 to work, however, i can't get last known good config to work, it comes back to the black screen with error message....should i try safe mode?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...try Safe Mode.

Though I think the System hive of the registry is corrupt... :whistling:

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I don't mean to jump in but both my laptops have a selective boot key of F12. By pressing the F12 they give you the option to boot from CD, HDD, or network. This might help. Some PC's also use the f10. Here is a way to repair the error you're getting

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
oiy vay...got more junk i didn't need. after safe mode, i could hear it processing and then got this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
" " " " \WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
" " " " \WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL
" " " " \WINDOWS\system32\BOOTVID.dll
" " " " \WINDOWS\system32\config\system
" " " " \WINDOWS\system32\config\system.alt

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attem to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Set CD\ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

now what?

really, thank you so much for hanging in there with me, i truly appreciate this. i wouldn't be doing this if my daughter didn't need this files for end of semester finals.

susan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanks silverbeard! A really good suggestion, but I think we've got more problem than that will address.

Try to boot to the cd using the methods that silverbeard and I suggested. One of them is bound to get a soft menu or force it to boot to cd.

Edited by wannabe1, 05 December 2006 - 02:01 AM.