Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

strange cable - what could it be for?

• Please log in to reply

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi

this is just some cat killing curiousity here. I picked up an ex showroom I-rocks card reader/usb hub and in the box (not original packaging) there was a USB cable that terminates in a power adapter plug - like the kind that you would plug into your phone to charge it. Could this be to supply power to a low power device?

Or is it supposed to draw extra power from the mobo usb hub to the I-rocks device if I don't use its mains power adapter?

Posted Image

Edited by digikiwi, 08 December 2006 - 07:55 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
That is exactly it's purpose. To provide extra low power, around 2.5 watts, for a device that uses more than a single USB port can supply. I am seeing more and more of these type of connectors.

SRX660

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

That is exactly it's purpose. To provide extra low power, around 2.5 watts, for a device

So is that

1) for some other device that connects from the hub/reader ?
2) or can it provide power from the mobo hub to the reader if the AC to DC adapter isnt used?
3) or both?

If 1=true then what type of device? Or better said, I assume some devices could be damaged if the 5V 2.5W supply is inappropriate. Maybe you could name a couple of examples.

Thanks SRX660

Digikiwi

Edited by digikiwi, 09 December 2006 - 04:14 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
As a for instance, say you are using a laptop and are away on business and need to pull pictures off a camera card to put in the laptop. What this device will do is let add a little extra power to the card reader/hub so that it has enough power to complete what you want done. Many times you will see laptop external drive kits that have a USB connector with 2 connectors on one end. This is to supply 4 to 5 amps to run the laptop drive because 2.5 amps is not enough.

Heres some example addonics USB cables.

http://www.addonics....power_cable.asp

SRX660

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Excellent explanation and link. Thanks very much SRX660.
:whistling:

BTW did you mean 2.5 Watt or Amp in the previous post (just to clarify for other readers).

Digikiwi

Edited by digikiwi, 09 December 2006 - 05:43 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Unfortunately, the USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 protocols limit bus supplied power to 2.5 Watts (0.5A @ +5V) per port.

Slip of the tongue! EH!

SRX660

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
That's what I thought you meant.

Whether it was a slip of the tongue or the keyboard remains a moot point :whistling: ...

Thanks again for the education

:blink:

Digikiwi