Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File sharing not working right

• Please log in to reply

R2D2

R2D2

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Trying to set up a file sharing network and i have followed the guide on this forum and it is still not working. Any help please.

using Windows XP PRO with service patch 2.

the other computer is windows xp pro sp2 as well and the router is a linksys wrt54gv5 and the internet is a motorola surboard 3100 cable modem. both pc's are hardwired to the router with the standard blue etherenet cables

Edited by R2D2, 12 December 2006 - 03:38 PM.

Advertisements

whitey_VTS

whitey_VTS

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I think you need to put both PC's on the same workgroup

Right click My computer > Properties > ComputerName Then click change at Workgroup

R2D2

R2D2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Already did that in the guide I followed. Still no luck, Still Not working.

Followed this guide: http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=102163

Edited by R2D2, 13 December 2006 - 05:54 PM.

R2D2

R2D2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hopefully I haven't been forgotten about???

nollijible

nollijible

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Wow that How-To Guide wore me out just reading it.
Queries for masses...

1. Can both PC's reach the internet? This answer will really shed light on the problem.

2. There are 3 or more Firewalls you need to address. (Router Firewall, and both PC's Windows Firewall and any subsequent ones you may have running. Try with all turned off. You can disconnect the router from the internet whilst doing so. If you connect, turn them back on one at a time until you find the culprit. Have you done this yet?

3. In Network Connections/PCs Near ME, can you see either PC?

R2D2

R2D2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Both can access the net fine.

The only firewall I have is Sygate SPF. I disabled it on both computers and that didnt help. The i read in another forum that sometimes disabling a firewall form the start up menu still doesnt entirely disable it, so i completly uninstalled it from both pcs. Still no luck either.

When i go to my computer and then my network places and then click on View Workgroup Computers.... there is about a 2 minute pause and then I get the following error message:

"Hamilgroup is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource."

Edited by R2D2, 16 December 2006 - 09:34 PM.

nollijible

nollijible

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Same message from both machines? Not accessible? No PC showing up at all?

This may sound insanely dumb, but are the Work Groups spelled the same?

Can you ping the other PC IP address from either?

If you don't even see your own PC in Network Places then you need to redo the setup network routine. Only this time don't follow those directions, just do it. Right clight Network Places and the SetUp a home or small office network. Towards the end of the process make sure file and printer sharing is selected... it is not the default. it sounds like it is not turned on.

Also make sure your PC's do not have the same name.. workgroup yes PC's no

R2D2

R2D2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Everyone keeps telling me to do the same things :whistling:

This may sound insanely dumb, but are the Work Groups spelled the same?

I think you need to put both PC's on the same workgroup

The look allot alike dont they.... :blink:

Can you ping the other PC IP address from either?

Both pinged each other with 0% loss. Sent 100 and received 100.

Redid the network setup wizard.... still no luck same error message?

nollijible

nollijible

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
If you can ping, it rules out the router.
Since you can ping, either you aren't sharing any folders (open My Computer and right click on My Documents and select sharing) or a firewall is blocking. You said you closed your addon firewalls... did you check Windows XP's firewall? It defaults to ON with SP2.

Apologies for being repetitive, but with networking, sometimes things don't work right away, usually due to needing a cold boot. Complete shutdown, unplug for 10 seconds (or until your PC's internal network light goes out) and restart.

rwfriers

rwfriers

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'm not an expert on this but I saw something similar recently. Unfortunatly I don't know what I did to repair. Try opening windows explorer and typing in the address bar [/b]\\computername\sharename <cr>.

Maybe try typing just \\computername <cr>

I was in a situation where I could not see my coworkers pc but I could ping (by ip address as well as computername). I tried typing in the computer name in the address bar and the computer showed up in Network Neighborhood under a domain named "Unknown". At that point I could see the shares under te computer name.

Wish I had more info but I m still puzzeled by this.

Advertisements

R2D2

R2D2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

You said you closed your addon firewalls... did you check Windows XP's firewall? It defaults to ON with SP2.

Stopped the winddows firewall/internet connection sharing service through the local services on both pc's. Still havent reinstalled Sygate SPF (since I uninstalled it earlier) and now i can see the other pc and the other pc can see me.... but when i double click on the other pc i get the following error message:

"Access Denied"

Maybe try typing just \\computername

Get the same "Access Denied" error message.

On the bright side I can now at least see the other machine... I just cant do anything with it.

nollijible

nollijible

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
You're close now...

At the risk of being repetitive, did you allow sharing of files and printers on both PC's? (I didn't see your reply to that above)

Right click My Documents - Properties - Sharing and Security - Click the Share this Folder option. Ther My Documents folder (or whatever ones you decide to share) will then have a hand underneath it.

R2D2

R2D2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
yes. still no luck?

Edited by R2D2, 18 December 2006 - 06:23 AM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Go to Start -> Run, type in \\<ip address of other computer>\<name of folder shared on other computer>
for example, \\192.168.0.2\share
and let us know if it comes back with the same error.

R2D2

R2D2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
didnt do anything.....

Edited by R2D2, 18 December 2006 - 04:08 PM.