Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shutdown problem

• Please log in to reply

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

its an acer aspire t50

Alright, nevermind. The reason I was asking is HP has several processes that can cause problems with shutdown such as Hposts08, Hpgs2wnd, and Hpoevm07.

Advertisements

mattyman1

mattyman1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
will it damage my pc having to turn off by the power button all the time ?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
no it won't damage your hardware, since it just cuts of power to the computer and your system is already wonkey donkey by the sound of things since you said that you had disabled all startups in msconfig and still the thing was happening, that would point to the xp system rather than a program on it, to be more sure it would be seeing how shutdown from your account in safemode goes

do you have a copy of xp in the same flavor, perhaps a repair of system, might help

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

the other idea is doing a system restore to a point prior to the problem, either way it is good to back up your data before you try anything

curiousity killing me, if you press shutdown and then do the alt ctl del salute(popping up taskbar) does it mention which process is not responding

Edited by fleamailman, 17 December 2006 - 02:23 PM.

mattyman1

mattyman1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i haven't disable all start ups only the ones i recognised as not being essential, there are at least 10 still enabled. Should i disable everything or do i need some of them ?

The xp was preloaded on the machine , i did create a backup dvd that i think will restore it to factory setting but was trying to avoid that due to all the software i've got on it.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
disabling the startups while the computer is disconnected from the internet is just a test to see if it is one of those programs that is causing the computer to hung on shutdown, if the computer shuts down nicely then you knon that it is a program that is the cause

Edited by fleamailman, 18 December 2006 - 06:56 PM.

mattyman1

mattyman1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
So can i deselect all startup programs, because some look like they are needed for the actual computer to work , like windows etc?

When i click shutdown or restart it freezes , can't do ctr alt del nothing happens , the only thing i can do is move the mouse cursor round the screen.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
as long as you are not connected to the internet, nor adding anything to the computer you can disable all the startups, shut down, reboot, shutdown again but don't forget after the test to re'enble those startups of your protection(av)

are you backed up 100%, would a system restore to a point prior to the problem help I wonder

or we still have the idea of repair with XP cd I mentioned

Edited by fleamailman, 18 December 2006 - 07:00 PM.

mattyman1

mattyman1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Disabling all startups worket - thanks , the computer did perform a scan disk (FAT 32) on startup though but don't think that is a problem. Do i now add on each startup one by one and restart after each to see which program is causing a problem ?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
rather than enabling 1 startup out of 10, enable 5 out of 10, so of all the startups that you originally recorded enable half of them, it won't take long to narrow down the culprit but my bet is that it is your protection that cannot switch off

mattyman1

mattyman1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It all went wrong , had to call out computer help guy cus wouldn't reboot. His 1st diagnosis was thatmy hard drive was faulty but in the end we managed to wipe my hard drive and load windows on again. So thanks for your help but it seems i had a bad virus that only wiping my pc would help.

Thanks

Advertisements