Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Upgrade - compatibility

• Please log in to reply

SteveL1949

SteveL1949

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a Presario sr1330nx tower. It runs Windows XP Home and I am at XP2 with all updated service patches. Last night I also upgraded the Bios to the most current on the HP/Compaq website to Bios 3.5

It currently has a stick of 512 DDR 333Mhz PC2700U CL2.5

The young guy at Circuit City sold me a stick of 512 DDR PC3200 CL3

When I put it in the 2nd slot in my PC it doesn't get recognized. I swapped sticks, and it still doesn't get recognized. I took out the original 512 stick and the new stick DOES get recognized, then I put back the original in the other slot, it doesn't get recognized.

Is there something obvious that I am doing wrong? I swap stick locations and it doesn't see it either? Do I need to do some other kind of "Reset" or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve L
Ashby Ma.
[email protected]

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
According to all the information I can find on your computer, your mobo is set up for PC2700, not PC3200. While it may be able to run the PC3200 by itself at PC2700 speeds, it more than likely is unable to run both because of the difference in speed, timings, and latency. I would take the PC3200 back and try to get a stick of PC2700 that matches your current RAM.