Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stays on log on screen too long

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
fluently. born and raised here.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try upclean and see how things are after

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
me too, burn and raised there. i live in Canada now. as too out problem...still the same no chage.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There are only two things that I can think about at the moment:

Download and run WinPatrol. It's a very good program to analyze processes etc. It also protects your computer in other ways. Run it and see if there aren't unnecessary things running.

What is the volume of your hard disk and how much free space do you have. Has this disk ever been full, or nearly full and material cleared from it to free space? In system > advanced > settings > advanced look for the virtual memory settings. Click Change. Is virtual memory set to Custom Size or to System Managed Size. Set it to Custom Size and write for a minimum 1.5 times the volume of your ram (e.g write 750 if you have 512 MB ram). For a maximum double up the minimum. Click Set.

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
my virtual memory is set to 2.5 times my original size. what would you call an unnecessary things running?

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
my virtual memory is set to 2.5 times my original size. what would you call an unnecessary things running?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The only two things that I can think of are :

1: defragmented page files (virtual memory). Download Diskeeper lite and run defragmantation. It will not consolidate page files but kook at Help and read about disks that cannot be defragmented fully.

2: Many programs loading up during start-up. I have seen computers where loading up took ages but after it finished the computer ran fine. Typically these are video editing and engineering design programs and heavy antimalware resource users. I still suggest that you try to tick off everything which is not essential in msconfig. Leave only antimalware related programs. run the computer and see if it makes any difference.

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
the only thing about the startup programs is that i didn't change anything on my laptop. it just started to happen.does the windows update has to run at every startup? i will try to tick off some startup options...though the ones that i will tick will be programs that are required like anitivirus and firewall. i will also try to run the page defragmenter.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Windows updates opens up after every reboot but usually at the end of the process while your desktop is in place and you can click on icons to open applications. You can cancel automatic updates in the control panel but this is highly unrecommended. If you do cancel it you will also get a warning at your task bar that the computer is at risk.

About file page defragmenter: The program I mentioned Diskeeper Lite is a freeware and cannot perform page file defragmantation. The commercial version has this option. Several years ago they had this module for free but not anymore.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To defragment page files and registry hives download, open and run the utility from this page (download is at the bottom of the page). Read first.

Advertisements

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
did all that. no change to the startup process actually it even got worse if it's even possible. i also ticked off my antivirus,spayware and firewall from msconfig and there was no change to my surprise, the startup time did not change. which means that it has to be something else. but what else can it be? i remember this problem started and then i formated my laptop but the problem was still there. after formatting i had sp1 it wasn't too bad but after installing sp2 it came to where we are right now.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
How old is your computer, how much ram has it got, what is the speed of the ram, what processor have you got?

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
3 years old i would say. INTEL P4 2.7Ghz cpu speed. 768MB of RAM, if i remember currectly it is PC2100.

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Some speed up tweaks to help.

http://www.pc-speed-...ws_startup.html

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
already did that. please reffer to begining of log